Ring and Pinion?

natesredride

natesredride
Ok just looking for some more advice on setting up the dana 80 so far we have ate two sets of gears in it a motive set and this last weekend a dana set they are 5.13 and run 6 33" tires. The first set only took half the ring gear out but broke the drivers side bearing cap and we did not have a diff cover with the jack bolts at the time but bought one I set the gears up tight at zero backlash. Now this weekend it tore every tooth off ring gear but bearing caps were fine with the lpw cover I realize its pushing the ring gear away and I not putting the carrier in tight enought or does the pinion need to be deeper. Things I'm doing this week to fix the problem ordered arp carrier bearing studs new 4.88 gears for front and rear and I also bought the load bolt to put in the side for any deflection of ring gear.Any advive on install I would greatly appreciate or is the load bolt going to solve the problem thanks

I meant to say that the load bolt will help to make the gears last 10-15 hooks I know it will eventully break sometime and also who runs one

Where did you get the load bolt at?

Have you found jig to set the load bold up correctly?

I got it frome jesse he had it at house but came from jantz engineering the yukon spool is at machine shop now getting the dia cut down to 8.925 which it measured 9.125 no not much comming off for bolt to ride on ring gear better they said to touch the ring gear and then back off like 1/18 of turn it comes out to be .003 but I will double check tonight anxous to get it on and then take cover off to see how hard it hits after a few pulls if it makes a Mark on ring gear does anyone know how much deflection you can get frome a 80 .002-.010?

And yes it comes with a plate that bolts to carrier with a spacer and a hole that is tapped so you layout your hole on cover and drill it and see how close it is and when its big enough to get bolt through to screw in have to dremal it to get it to fit right looks about like setting a dowel just takes time to get it perfect I will take a pic when I get to shop today its a nice looking kit had one for a 60 also

Id recommend not setting up the backlash that tight. 3-5 thousandths has always worked the best for us.

I'm not having any trouble with the teeth being wiped off the ring gear, but if you pull the cover and check it, it will start getting cracks in between each tooth about every 6 hooks. I've broken two of the 37 spline axles too.

Ok thanks guys do any of you run the load bolt? Here are pics of the machined spool and the bolt heads need to be touched up with the grinder once ring gear is on.

Attachments

• 20130618_192440.jpg
    20130618_192440.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
Would an allen bolt eliminate the touching of the bolts?

I know every rear end is different, but what shims do you usually end up with behind the pinion bearing when you set up your 80s? I'm thinking mine is usually right around .070"

That's sounds close can't rember right off hand doing rear end tomorrow night and yes a allen head bolt might work I will check tommorow night

I am sure allen head bolts would work. The heads of the bolts just barely go outside the machined carrier. I am not sure that it is enough to worry about new bolts. I need to get ours off the shelf and get it installed too.

For pinion depth, do you guys shim behind the race, or do you put shims between the bearing and pinion gear? I have seen it done both ways on the Dana 80.

As of right now I put them behind the bearing and pinion not race will post some pics tomorow of what I have so far. When setting backlash at about zero can you turn with pinon or are you haveing to turn with the tire or is that to tight thanks guys for info so far.

You should be able to turn it using your hand on the pinion. Sounds like you might have it a little tight

Back