ring job

senck243

have excess blowby and was wondering if anyone has done rings. had headgasket, injectors and studs replaced and when they took the head off everything looked fine. i am thinking the rings are just slightly warn. trying to figure out a rough guestimate?

do it yourself, mega easy then it will be like <$600 with all the gaskets and bearings depends on where you find the parts.

A good way to tell if you need rings is to pull the oil fill cap while its running. It shouldnt float or blow out of the hole when unthreaded.

I changed mine in frame. It is a little tight but not that bad. I had 5 broken rings at 145k. Catch them before they scratch the cylinder and you can get the parts for 5-600 unless you change bearings. mine looked good so I reused them. It is hard honing the 6 cylinder back there but it can be done. Just take your time and don't go too deep or you will break off the oilers that shoot oil up to the bottom of the cylinders.

IMHO if your already to the point where you can inline the block you might as well just finish pulling it and do it right with no chance of screwing something up.

Aren't you trying to sell this truck on craigslists?

no not trying to sell on craigslist. as for everyone else thanks for the help. i am gonna have to think about this as to which way i wanna go. leaning towards saving some cash and doing it right.:Cheer:

Back