Rislone vs Lucas

Ether Man

The Racer Formerly Known as ConcreteBlockHead, who
ok need a run down on these two oil treatments, getting ready to break in the new cam i just put in and the only two oil supplements in my area that i can find for adding to my oil is rislone and lucas. rislone says 1 quart for every 5 qts. and lucas is just one bottle. anybody endorse one or the other?

Lucas break-in oil was recommended by my cam mfr as an option. They sell their own product so who knows if its the same or what. Eastwoodco.com has some also.
Generally Im not a lucas oil fan, but its just ZDDP.
If you run an aftermarket cam, you absolutely need to run a ZDDP additive with each oil change. Dont ask how I know this. =(

Basically the !@#$!@# EPA had the oil companies lower zinc values even in oils that werent made to be used in DPF trucks. So, you might ask yourself 'why the heck would they do that?' My best guess is this goes along with the dicking around with our fuels, its how they plan to induce 'planned obsolescence'.

Flat tappet motors need this stuff, roller cams dont.

if neither, then what? i want to be able to find something local. the rislone said with zddp but i haven't ever used anything of theirs before. if i need to order something then that is fine i was just trying to find something local. thanks for the input.

STP oil treatment has ZDDP. Buy it at the auto parts store or even Walmart for about $3.50.

I have never used additives....period. Good oil does it's job just fine

I have never used additives....period. Good oil does it's job just fine

Depends on what oil you use. The new oils that are available on the shelf are made to be comlpiant with emissions standards. It's fine for the newer engines but not so great for the older engines.

Back