Rivet nuts on a class 8 truck or concrete truck?

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
So any of you class 8 or heavy duty truck guys know of any way to remove rivet nuts clean? They aren't the run of the mill rivet nuts you see on other stuff where its a rivet nut and a normal bolt running into it. This has a smooth head bolt running into a rivet nut on the frame. They are large and hold the axles on. We have always just cut them in the past but we were curious how they go together and or if there is a tool to remove them. From the looks of them a torch is the only option but figured I would ask.

This is the outside. Doesn't seem so bad. Once they get the wiring harness off I will get a picture of the inside. It isn't a normal bolt. It has a smooth head like a carriage bolt. Thought about trying to double nut it and run it out that way but one of them got part way out and was too difficult to thread out by hand the rest of the way before the double nuts bottomed out.

111C53B0-9166-4F38-A8C7-E3DCDB2BBDB4_zpssdpqteeq.jpg

Last edited:
Is it drill-able steel?
Center punch it and drill it, if it is.

Mark.

Guy I work with can torch them off and leave the threads on it.
We just torch them off at work and put bolts back in.

They crimp onto the bolt. The flange of the nut gets pressed toward the frame and the ID gets shoved onto the threads. I would torch and be done.

Squeaky Wheel

Hucks? The ones we used at my old job had a nut on the crimp end. It took a big gun but it would spin them off. Those ones we just used a torch and scarfed off the collar.

Huck fasteners(or a similar brand), like i was thinking. Like mentioned, they are crimped on and not meant to come off easily. Torch them off and replace.

A tool like this with a hydraulic power pack is used to put them on
a7uqyre8.jpg

Last edited:
Ours is configured like a like a pistol. And Huck is indeed a trade name. Not sure who else makes them.

Squeaky Wheel

So is this a bolt running in from the other side or a stud that's screwed in? If it's a bolt just screw it out and drill it out from what your calling the inside, usually how I get them out. Never seen a studded one if it is.

I wish i have the "before" product to demonstrate how they work. There is no torque involved. There is no spinning them out.

Squeaky Wheel

They are hucks, you can grind them off, torch them off, drill through the center of the head, take an air hammer with a sharp chisel and cut the collor and drive the Huck out, or you can cut a x in the head and chisel it off.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

As for putting new ones back in you stick the Huck bolt in one side, a collor on the other and slide the very expensive Huck gun over the stud end. Pull the trigger and it pulls it tight, crimps it solid, and breaks off the excess on the end.

Yep^^^ I work on some of the tools for Kenworth's manufacturing plant in Chillicothe, OH and they use a lot of hucks and some lujene fasteners on their trucks.

I use mostly 1/4" and 3/8" diameter hucks. Saw some on a trailer that must have been 1" diameter, can't imagine the bang when they lock those in.

Yep^^^ I work on some of the tools for Kenworth's manufacturing plant in Chillicothe, OH and they use a lot of hucks and some lujene fasteners on their trucks.

Where you out of? We have a tech there almost every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back