Rocker issue on a 05 5.9. Need input.

JarrodB

Oilfield Trash
Doing injectors on a 05 and while reinstalling the rockers, came across one that has resistance on the roller. Pulled it apart and wiped it clean and see score marks on the roller and rocker. Can this be reinstalled and not have major issues or change soon.... Or does it need changed now before restarting the engine?

55dd49a9.jpg

d1d6f948.jpg

33198939.jpg

eeb321e8.jpg

40fcccc9.jpg

e74cbe70.jpg

87803a43.jpg

iPhone ?

Some of mine were worse than that , i had to drive the center out! I took a fine sanding drum on my dremal and cleaned them up and reinstalled them all is well.

I would just hit them with emery cloth to clean them up and run them.

I have seen this numerous times on 3rd gen engines It seems to be a common problem. Take fine sandpaper and sand the scuffs out of it or order new ones

Posted from my ifail when I should be working

Well we sanded the roller down and it rocks way better now. Thanks y'all!

iPhone ?

I talked with Mike about this 4 or 5 years ago when I was having problems. We discussed making an additional oil groove. He did that, and has done some work with coatings as well.

Cummins

--Eric

This has been a problem since '98 when the 24v motor came out. The 6.7 rocker shafts have a groove across the bottom but it's still does not provide enough lubrication to prevent scaring. Just another reason to add something like Rev-X or ZDDPlus to every oil change!

In my experience, if one is scared they're all scared, including the intakes. The issue is lubrication related.

You sure? I thought it was the exhaust on #5.

IIRC #5 on mine was starting to score also and get a little tight.

Im 99% sure. I think I told my self to remember "exhaust#4" Plus I remember thinking at least its easy to get to..

In my experience, if one is scared they're all scared, including the intakes. The issue is lubrication related.

We didnt look at the others. As we were reinstalling them, I was handing them to Daniel and rocking them for no reason and came to that one that didnt. Thought hmmm that aint right. Cleaned it up and saw that. So its possible the others could be scared also to a degree.

I clean them up and throw them back on as well. I use a wiz tool with a maroon 3M pad and go fairly easy on the pin, then I use a head port polishing wheel to buff inside the rocker bore. I think the fine scuff marks that the 3M pad leaves helps trap oil, then again I haven't had one apart since polishing with extreme miles. Also, most use oil addtive after I show them the rocker issue!

The worst motor I've seen was a '99 24v with approx 150K on it. It was a one owner truck and according to the owner, he ran 15W40 Rotella-T all it's life, he also used Wix and Fram oil filters.

In general I think CR motors have more issues with rocker wear due to more contamination getting into the oil, lack of good stuff in the new motor oils and people using cheap filter.

Last edited:
Well this truck is mine in the op. It was my dads truck and he always got the oil changed at the dealer. Because on our 05 truck we have gotten lifetime oil changes. So they used to use mopar oil in it. SO i guess that's the reason behind it. I know on my 11 i only use the valvoline premium blue. And it looks like my 05 will be getting that next oil change and not going to the dealer. And that was the only scared on with the ones i took off i check the others before re installing the 3 time.

just curious to see if it is related, but what brand and weight of oil do you all use

i use 15w-40 Rotella T, i have not taken mine apart yet to check them or run an overhead but i will be soon

Back