Rockwell F106, take me to school...

BlackSkyRacing

Living Under a Rock
Search didn't produce much, planned to call Profab Monday if they aren't at the pull tonight (they're local to me). Been playing in stock driveline truck pulling for a little bit now with my customer's rigs. Plan to put a truck together from scratch and since I'll end up in the open classes here locally, I may as well build an appropriate bullet proof driveline. What little searching I've found has shown me why some people that run open driveline trucks laugh at 1 ton driveline breakage and cost...

Anyways, I have a good source for the base axle to work with, studying them they're quite beefy from the start and have plenty of aftermarket support. So my question is, where do I start? I see there's Detroit lockers available, do they hold? Or should I run a spool and be done with it like a dana 80? What about shafts? Clearly I'm not going to be running in the 2000+ hp range or anything wild like that, would be happy if I manage 1500 on the budget I'm looking at, which around these parts would be extremely competitive. I just don't want to deal with constantly breaking because I went the wrong route on size and spline count out of the box. Oh, and who should I be tracking down to get one of these converted into a steer axle?

Use something other then a 106 in the rear. They won't hold up to the torque. Sqhd or 20-145 is what you need

Ok, good to know, glad I asked... Now, what applications would I be looking at to find said monsters?

Rear axles in mid 90's semi or under single axle fL80's

Sweet, that's what I was hoping, sane source for the F106 will have them then. So now that we've established that, who is the best place to get shafts from, and Detroit locker or spool?

Is there casting marks/numbers to decipher between the 106 and sqhd? Never seen them side by side.

Sqhd will have a number casted into the center section that starts with 5200 and is considerably larger then the 106.

Sweet, that's what I was hoping, sane source for the F106 will have them then. So now that we've established that, who is the best place to get shafts from, and Detroit locker or spool?
As far as locker/spool my father has a 650 ci 4x4 mod truck with a 106 rear, we broke the Detroit and we put a welded carrier in and is holding well. But the Detroit was in the rear for alot of years before hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I have a sqhd with a spool and hubs for duals from SCS for sale.
It has a 6:20 gear in it , never been run

The best option in my opinion is to go with a 20-145. They are still in production today and are available in almost every highway tractor from the mid 90's to today. You are looking for what is called the 20-145RR (RR stands for Rear, Rear axle...a 20-145FR which stands for Front, Rear axle which is the front axle in the tandem pair).

The diff's are easy to recognize due to the shape of the casting of the center section. (check out the picture I attached).

They come stock with 2" 39spline shafts and spools are now available for the same $$$ as the SQHD's. I actually just made my own mini-spool so it would match up with to the splines on my custom driver plates which is 2" 47 spline. An aluminum center section is also available for them like the SQHD but honestly the weight savings is minimal and I would rather spend the money saved for a cast iron center section on something else like aluminum hubs or something else.

Ryan
20150604_172720_resized_11_zpsbuuvpxeg.jpg

Back