Rod Angle Calculator

wwentzler

Well this all started with a theory, that maybe engines with a longer rod to stroke ratio, such as a deckplate engine, could be more efficient at delivering downward piston force, into raw crank torque. Ill start off by saying, the calculator shows the differences are negligible and my theory was wrong.

The calculator does however show the raw data, so I felt as though maybe others would find this interesting.

Basically how it works, is I have run the calculations as to what percentage of piston force is turned into crank torque at each degree of the crank, 90* being TDC, and I only felt necessary to show through 180*, which is where the crank forms a right angle with the cylinder. I showed the data for 4 different common cummins engine characteristics. If you care to look at the math, its all there i just hid the columns. Theres a graph on the second sheet that shows all 4 curves as well.

For those that dont follow, cylinder pressure creates a piston force stright downward, and through a connecting rod, that force is turned into a rotational force (torque). However, that force is not transferred 100%, some is lost to the sides of the cylinder walls, as well as the bearings.

Some interesting things I noticed with the data, is this shows how important timing is, as well as ROI. As you can see, massive cylinder pressure in the early degrees after top dead center does not translate to much crank torque, aka headgasket gets alot of that force, as well as the rod and crank.

Also if you dig through the hidden columns youll find rod angle at each degree, notice there is virtually no difference between a stock 6.7 rod angle and a 6.4L, so the rod angle thing is myth(bending rods)

Feel free to check my calculations, i could have easily made errors. If there are any questions feel free to ask. Enjoy! :rockwoot:

Attachments

• Calculator.zip
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It would be nice to know the difference in the side loading of the piston with the change in rod length. Is it significant enough that the durability of the cylinder walls could benefit. I'm not as worried about the piston...

The timing is always a balance. To early of timing, and as your data shows puts a lot of load on pistons, rods, crank, bearings. To late of timing and the piston speed is increasing the volume of the cylinder, and decreasing the pressure applied to the piston. Hence the old value, that you want peak cylinder pressure between 7 and 13 degrees ATDC (though speed of the fuel burnt will change that value). The rod to stroke ratio will also have an effect on if it's optimum closer to the 7 or to the 13.

Thank you for the time spent. Interesting info.

Paul

Back