Rod cap bolt question

turboman1

Rebuilding the motor on my 97' and when torque the rod bolts from 50 to 73 ft lbs the bolts seem as if they are stretching. They turn about a 1/4 turn from 26 to 50 but from 50 to 73 they turned over half a turn and still didn't make the torque wrench click. Are the rod bolts only supposed to be used once and are stretched during that time. I checked two different manuals and both said 73 ft lbs. Anyone think I am stretching the bolts or over torquing them?

Thanks
Adam

Replace them. On a side note check your torque wrench accuracy.

Thanks, we did check the torque wrench to make sure it was still working (not calibrated though) and it still clicked.

I think I am going to buy new bolts anyways. Where is a good place to purchase a new set?

Adam

I thought rod bolts were suppose to be torqued to 90 ft/lbs. Maybe thats just for the heavy duty ones... I would put upgraded ones in there now that way you don't have to worry about it, I mean its already torn down so you might as well.

If you change rod bolts you had better have the rods checked. When you change fastener with higher torque values its always best to have them checked under torque.

Back