Ross pistons in a CR

Tlewiscummins

Diesel freak
Talked with Jeff at Burkett Racing (Does Jess and Buck Spruill's motors) today and he mentioned that he had a bunch of guys running Ross pistons in d-max's and cummins that are coated. he said he has had good luck with these pistons. Just wondering what everyone thought about coated Ross pistons when matched against coated QSB 480 pistons and the Mahle monotherms?? Jeff also said the were aluminum pistons. Price was half of the monotherms already coated. Jeff said street manners would still be fine. What's the pros and cons of these pistons, and is anyone out there using them? Jeff said Ross could do the 03-04.5 style, or the 04.5-07 style so i wouldn't have to change injector tips like the QSB 480 pistons. My truck is 05 CR.

I wanted to install some Mahle's in my truck but, Kent Crowder at Scheid told me that any aftermarket piston is too soft to run as a DD. The monotherm might be a different story since they're metal but, with them you have to be concerned with rotating mass.

I got a new set of stock CR pistons, shaved them a bit and had them coated. Haven't had a problem in 4yrs and the coating is still visible.

If your truck is mainly a DD, you might should ask more about it.

I wanted to install some Mahle's in my truck but, Kent Crowder at Scheid told me that any aftermarket piston is too soft to run as a DD. The monotherm might be a different story since they're metal but, with them you have to be concerned with rotating mass.

I got a new set of stock CR pistons, shaved them a bit and had them coated. Haven't had a problem in 4yrs and the coating is still visible.

If your truck is mainly a DD, you might should ask more about it.

Sorry to be prick Ty but I have to call ya out!!

Pistons moving up and down is Reciprocating Weight, not Rotating weight!

reciprocate definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

That would be the crank, lower half of the rods, etc.

:poke:

Sorry dude, I had to! :Cheer:

OH, I didn't notice hardly any SOP feel from going Coated Stock pistons to the Heavier Monotherms...

But At least I know my pistons won't ever look like This again!

f9db6bba.jpg

a48337b8.jpg

My vote is for Mahle! ( Obviously... :) )

e59c329b.jpg

Last edited:
man I swear, I don't understand people sometimes..... the point was made wasn't it !

Can anything on this forum be said without an argument ? I relayed what I was told.... I don't care about metal, aluminum, reciprocating...etc. Which Swole you do have a huge rotating mass on the crank.

When I call the machine shop about balancing an engine we talk about the rotating assembly. Next time I'll have to ask them what to do with a reciprocating assembly!

As far as steel pistons go, I'm not sure how to look at added weight in the pistons...biggest problem I see is added stress on the rods.

Last edited:
Sorry to be prick Ty but I have to call ya out!!

Pistons moving up and down is Reciprocating Weight, not Rotating weight!

reciprocate definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

That would be the crank, lower half of the rods, etc.

:poke:

Sorry dude, I had to! :Cheer:

OH, I didn't notice hardly any SOP feel from going Coated Stock pistons to the Heavier Monotherms...

But At least I know my pistons won't ever look like This again!

f9db6bba.jpg

a48337b8.jpg

My vote is for Mahle! ( Obviously... :) )

e59c329b.jpg

Im so proud of you! :rockwoot:

Except you forgot that the melting issue you had was not the pistons fault, AND the steel ring land ALSO melted Along with the Steel rings.......So your steel pistons are not Going to hold up under the same conditions......For long.

and there heavy :hehe:

Im so proud of you! :rockwoot:

Except you forgot that the melting issue you had was not the pistons fault, AND the steel ring land ALSO melted Along with the Steel rings.......So your steel pistons are not Going to hold up under the same conditions......For long.

and there heavy :hehe:

Just the point I made in my post. I was talked about how aftermarket pistons which are lighter and not mean for a DD. I said I don't know about the mono's because they're steel ( not as light or weak as aluminum ). They aren't bullet proof Swole.

LReiff,

I didn't wanna rub salt in the wound!! So I let him have the "Metal" comment!

Ty,

Kewl Out Man!! I was just ribbin ya man!

If I didn't like ya I would be so nice about it and put the cute little Beer Mugs icon in there!! LOL

Reciprocating and Rotating - There is a difference though!

As far my my Therms being indistructable, I'm Sure they are not ( at least the rings arent )... But I'll take my chances with them, Give the SAME type of failure ( Which finally was decided to be one of Three different problems...Electronic related)...

You act like big kid Swole. You enjoy what you do as you think you're one uping me for some reason :doh: If you didn't think that, you wouldn't apologizes before hand.

Ok... "steel" is that better !

And like LReiff said, I've never heard anyone talk about a "reciprocating assembly". The weight of your pistons affects not only the up and down but, the round and round too.
It wasn't a burn on what you're have, in fact I didn't even say your name. It was pointing out the differences in aluminum and " steel " piston.

All you had to do to answer the OP's question is say you like mono's. Most will have to come out of pocket for a set of mono's which I don't think many can.

Last edited:
Dang Ty!

Hang on to your panties for a second!

Yes, I do act like a "Kid" at times! I Fully intend to continue that, when it's done in "FUN"!! I don't wanna grow up and act like an Old Fogey!! I like having fun in here just like many do! As well as spreding / learning Good info!

But for the Record, up and down is Reciprocating and the Round and Round ( as you put it) is the Rotating.....I didn't say that the weight wouldn't make a difference but when it comes to ONLY the UP and DOWN of the pistons, that is the reciprocating action..not rotating..

It was a Damn Joke Dude!

Im SORRY to the OP and to TY for even Exising on the forum!!
I'll Go away now!!

Last edited:
Ty......up and down and round and round is your brain on drugs......Give it up bro!!!:hehe:

You trying to explain engine building terminology = Bad idea.:what:

Dang Ty!

Hang on to your panties for a second!

Yes, I do act like a "Kid" at times! I Fully intend to continue that, when it's done in "FUN"!! I don't wanna grow up and act like an Old Fogey!! I like having fun in here just like many do! As well as spreding / learning Good info!

But for the Record, up and down is Reciprocating and the Round and Round ( as you put it) is the Rotating.....

It was a Damn Joke Dude!

Im SORRY to the OP and to TY for even Exising on the forum!!
I'll Go away now!!

But you see, you tried to make a point that had nothing to do with the OP's question. It was to try and correct me when I wasn't wrong in the first place. You weren't kidding. I'm also a big kid but, I don't go around trying to correct you. Your spelling is pretty bad at times but, I don't say a thing. You on the other hand feel the need to call me out on mine and even go as far as posting a definition.

You must forget the trade I'm in. I use a reciprocating saw at least once a week. I also use a skill saw at times which rotates. WTH man !

Ty......up and down and round and round is your brain on drugs......Give it up bro!!!:hehe:

You trying to explain engine building terminology = Bad idea.:what:

Give what up.... some things get explained in laymen terms. Just because I don't talk like you or Greg H, I'm wrong LOL

I don't get it. I only tried to answer this guys question from what I was told and this is where it ends up. Guess I'm sorry I'm on the forum.

Last edited:
But you see, you tried to make a point that had nothing to do with the OP's question. It was to try and correct me when I wasn't wrong in the first place. You weren't kidding. I'm also a big kid but, I don't go around trying to correct you. Your spelling is pretty bad at times but, I don't say a thing. You on the other hand feel the need to call me out on mine and even go as far as posting a definition.

You must forget the trade I'm in. I use a reciprocating saw at least once a week. I also use a skill saw at times which rotates. WTH man !

:hehe::hehe::hehe: Ty, Give it up man, your gonna wear that shovel out at the rate your diggin this hole......:hehe:

No ****! Hey Ty, i bet you would be runnin some reciprocating up and down steel pistons if they were gifted wouldn't cha?

Its a joke swole

Last edited:
Did I cross any Lines here Guys??? If i'm wrong for ribbing a friend, I'll stop!

What Say You ????

I was just having some fun... Let me know if this was "Wrong" or "Unprofessional" and I'll consider changing my way...

Back