RPM Needed

Ktown6.0

I can't remember
What kind of RPM is needed to spool the wh1c turbocharger?

Good friend of mine stuffed a VE engine with 47rh in to a 2006 1500 QC truck. The trans was rebuilt with stock internals, but the stall speed of the converter is 2k rpms. I am assuming the exhaust housing is 18 or 21. The engine was originally attached to a 5spd in the donor truck.

The truck is a dog, even with a little extra fuel, and rolling the pump a little.

Couldn't find any definitive threads discussing spool up on these turbocharges.

Thanks!

That's a pretty loose convertor for a stock turbo VE engine. But that's just my .02 I would have went around the 1400 range, believe that's where mine is.

That's a pretty loose convertor for a stock turbo VE engine. But that's just my .02 I would have went around the 1400 range, believe that's where mine is.

Hmmm.

Let me rephrase: By stall, I meant when you take off from a stop and get rolling, the rpms stop increasing at 2k rpms with the pedal matted (just to clarify).

It's smokey, but even at 2k rpms only cleans up to a heavy haze. So, my thoughts were there just weren't enough rpms to get the turbo lit enough if it has one of the two larger housings?

That's a stock stall speed for a 47RH. Is it the stock turbo on the VE? If so it's just an H1C, the W stands for wastegated. If it's a stock H1C then swap out the turbine housing for a 12cm one. It will spool way faster.

That's a stock stall speed for a 47RH. Is it the stock turbo on the VE? If so it's just an H1C, the W stands for wastegated. If it's a stock H1C then swap out the turbine housing for a 12cm one. It will spool way faster.

Yes, my apologies. Stock turbo. H1C it is. I figured the housing was my main concern, and the 2k rpm stall wasn't allowing the turbo to light well.

Sounds like some pump tuning is in order.

More tuning is definitely in order. The owner is going to have a reman pump put on first, then play some more with the truck.

Does it have a governor spring in it? If not that would be my first purchase.

No spring. All stock, save for some playing with the fuel, and rolling the pump a hair.

Thanks, folks.

Did you try re-indexing the throttle assembly on the pump? Also verify full travel....

Verified full travel long ago.

There is plenty of fuel (for this application), just not enough air. It cleans up to a heavy haze at 2k rpms. Pump is stock and tired. Injectors were freshened up along with fresh head work from a blown head gasket. All stock stuff.

Verified full travel long ago.

There is plenty of fuel (for this application), just not enough air. It cleans up to a heavy haze at 2k rpms. Pump is stock and tired. Injectors were freshened up along with fresh head work from a blown head gasket. All stock stuff.
Did you re-index throttle and then verify again? It just sounds like the pump is not set up correctly. Try taking away some of that bottom end fuel. You insist the pump has plenty of fuel, I say tune that fuel delivery.

For reference..... back when I bought my very first diesel (91 non i/c, 5 speed) it had a tach... the stock turbo didn't fully light until right at 2000rpm.

However, with a stock stall speed... it should be very quick to light.

I would look at tuning first. Is it smokey down low?

Sounds like the tranny, or the VE is governing out a 2K....you should be able to spin it up to about 2500rpm with a stock spring in the IP.

My suggestion would be before replacing the IP, I would install a 3200 (366) governor spring, and rotate the fuel pin to the deep side. I did this on my crewcab, with it's stock H1C and 18cm exhaust housing, and it made a huge difference in drivability.

Before I did this it would barely get up out of it's own way. Was almost too painful to drive.

Also what gears does the truck have? That could play into the doggy bottom end as well.

For reference..... back when I bought my very first diesel (91 non i/c, 5 speed) it had a tach... the stock turbo didn't fully light until right at 2000rpm.

However, with a stock stall speed... it should be very quick to light.

I would look at tuning first. Is it smokey down low?

It's smokey down low, yes. Not heavy, but a decent amount of smoke.

I'm trying to see about him giving the truck some tuning time. It's been hard to nail it down for any length of time

Sounds like the tranny, or the VE is governing out a 2K....you should be able to spin it up to about 2500rpm with a stock spring in the IP.

My suggestion would be before replacing the IP, I would install a 3200 (366) governor spring, and rotate the fuel pin to the deep side. I did this on my crewcab, with it's stock H1C and 18cm exhaust housing, and it made a huge difference in drivability.

Before I did this it would barely get up out of it's own way. Was almost too painful to drive.

Also what gears does the truck have? That could play into the doggy bottom end as well.

Pin has been rotated.

We're going to spend a few days tuning soon I think

Truck has factory sized '06 20s, and 3.55s

Back