Rules clarification

RedPuller

Diesel Inside
Ok, I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ here about this but why do we have to run a air shut-off AND a fuel shut-off? I would think that we should be given the option to run either one as either will kill the engine in the event of an emergency shut-down.
I know rules are rules but if someone can give me a better answer for this than "it's just the rules" than that will help me out in understanding why BOTH items are needed in the Super Street class trucks.

Joe

i am curious about this also what about a vp44 equiped truck i wont put a fuel shut off on it that would starve and knock out the vp i think just a air shutoff would be fine

Because in the event of a turbo failure, if you only have a fuel shut-off its probably not going to stop anything. I've never understood the need for a fuel shut off, In most cases just turning the ignition key off should suffice, no?

if the rack sticks on a p-pump turning the key off wont do any thing you need to be able to cut the fuel supply off but on a vp44 yeah turning the key off should do it and if a turbo starts feeding oil through the intake you need to cut off the air

I saw some big tractors this weekend (1000++hp) and most of them didnt have air shut offs or cross bolts and they were wild go figure

i am curious about this also what about a vp44 equiped truck i wont put a fuel shut off on it that would starve and knock out the vp i think just a air shutoff would be fine

i dont run a air shut off on my truck. I have one that when it gets pulled it pops the fuse for the engine shutting it off

i might have to looking at doin something like that but i will prolly just run a air shutoff on mine unless they want me to run both

When it starts sucking oil from somewhere and it runs away, you'll wish you had one. It's hard to understand until you see a rack stick in the parking lot, at the shop and ended up windowing the block because the air shut off wasn't working properly. A turbo is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Redundentcy (sp?) would probably be the answer, if one does not work then you have the other as well.

Rod, I think the tractors dont run cross bolts due to them all having straight up exhuast. I think the whole cross bolt thing got started due to side exits on trucks. Most of them i see have some sort of kill switch, maby they are killing the fuel but they usually have to have something to hook to the sled so the sled op can kill it.

probably because a kill switch will not stop runaway.

A driver operated air shutoff will not stop an engine where the driver has a siezure, heart attack, etc and has his foot pinned on the throttle.

Most of the time, they'd be redundant. In unique circumstances such as these above, only the specific safety device will work to prevent damage.

Because in the event of a turbo failure, if you only have a fuel shut-off its probably not going to stop anything. I've never understood the need for a fuel shut off, In most cases just turning the ignition key off should suffice, no?

Ok, so when the turbo fails and the engine has no more fuel from pulling the fuel cut-off, it's still going to run??

:umno:

When it starts sucking oil from somewhere and it runs away, you'll wish you had one. It's hard to understand until you see a rack stick in the parking lot, at the shop and ended up windowing the block because the air shut off wasn't working properly. A turbo is a lot cheaper than a new motor.

Ok, I can understand an oil run-away but how often does that happen?

If the rack sticks on a P-pump then cutting the fuel to it will stop it. So why would you need an air shut-off to stop an engine that only needs one of 2 variables to stop it? No fuel, it's not gonna run, no air and it's not gonna run.

Joe

It is not uncommon for there to be engine failure and the engine to start sucking crankcase oil and run away. Air shutoff is the only way to stop this if it happens.

Yes, that can happen but how often as well as how many on here have run-aways due to internal oil leaks?

Joe

I get what you're saying joe. The real dangers lie elsewhere (like letting people with 2 year-old kids sit 2' from the edge of the track.)

IMO, a air shutoff should be enough. Not to mention it is cheap, about $40 in mine. It will stop a runaway whether due to a stuck rack or a turbo blowing oil into the engine. The only condition where a proper air shutoff wouldn't work that I can think of is if your fuel rack stuck and you simultaneously blew an intercooler boot so it could suck air after the air shut off.

I don't get the 2 year old comment above? Regardless of how stupid some people may be while watching a diesel event, where people sit at an event should have no bearing on what safety precautions need to be taken on the vehicles. Most of the requirements are probably going to make it safer for the driver and event staff more than for the crowd.

Who is more likely to be found under the hood of a truck during a runaway condition trying to stop it? You the owner or someone from the crowd?

I don't get the 2 year old comment above? Regardless of how stupid some people may be while watching a diesel event, where people sit at an event should have no bearing on what safety precautions need to be taken on the vehicles.

^Wasn't my point at all.

Just illustrating how strict some rules are compared to how laxed others are.

Haven't seen a runaway at any event in the last 2 years (drag racing, pulling, dyno, etc). Not saying it doesn't happen --

I've seen hitches break at 3 of the last 5 events I've been to.

I'd crack down on the likely dangers before the UNlikely ones.

Personally I plan to take preventative measures such as a kill switch and air cutoff for my own safety and to protect my engine.

Back