Running Spacers For Staggered Tread Path?

cuminstrkmydmax

I was wandering if there were any advantages or disadvantages to running spacers on the rear wheels to stagger the tread path? I see that alot of higher HP trucks have the front wheels set out farther than the rears, but i dont think that i have the clearance to do that and still maintain any turning radius. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. THANKS Steven

Just recently in one of the duals threads it was talked about how the fronts being wider on the mod trucks and rearends narrower should help with each tire cutting its own path, instead of the rear riding on looser dirt. I'd be interested to find out if maybe spacers in the front would help just a regular puller. would kind of follow the same concept right?

Yes it will help to some degree! Also the dirt that the front is throwing back hits the front side of the back tire and packes the tread with dirt before it gets to the ground. Back in the early 90's, some guys were putting long mud flaps, that drug the ground, on the front to deflict the dirt from flying back on the rear tires!

There are really three reasons for running a narrowed rear end on the mod trucks.

1st is weight saving in the back. They remove a lot of heavy metal when they shorten the axle tubes and shafts. They can save a couple hundred pounds out back and move it up front where it will help more.

2nd is shorter shafts are harder to twist and break.

3rd is the two different paths of the tires.

lubeowner...areyou in platteville? and if so...nick told me about the puller you guys are building down there. hopefuly the motor will stay together. and the tilt cab looks pretty darn cool too.

So, would there be any major disadvantage for me to put a spacer on the rear to kick the tires out a little? And are aluminum spacers strong enough to use, or should i try to get steel? THANKS Steven

Before you go nuts and find yourself some 6 inch spacers take a look at the rules for the class your pulling in. NADM's go like this,

Workstock Wheelbase: The vehicle must retain the original factory
wheelbase and track width.

2.6 Wheelbase: The vehicle must retain the original unaltered factory wheelbase and track width.
Front dual-wheel spacers may be used only with accompanying positive-offset dually style
wheels.

2.8 Wheelbase: The vehicle must retain the original unaltered factory wheelbase and track width.
Front dual-wheel spacers may be used only with accompanying positive-offset dually style
wheels.

SS Wheelbase: The vehicle must retain the original unaltered factory wheelbase and track width.
wheels.

Granted rules are all in how you read them. I did see a few 2.6 trucks that had fronts offset 3-4 inches at the Indy invite. But the fact is its in the rule book and when the comments and ??? arise chin mullet has the final say and he goes by the words above. Food for thought. ( 2 1/2 inch and park with wheels turned?)

I dont pull in any major organizations yet... and the rules for where i do pull at dont say anything about width. But i wasnt planning on going more than the 3'' spacers that i have sitting in the garage. THANKS Steven

lubeowner...areyou in platteville? and if so...nick told me about the puller you guys are building down there. hopefuly the motor will stay together. and the tilt cab looks pretty darn cool too.

Yep, Platteville. We are hoping the same thing. Trying to do what no one has done before makes it very hard to tell what will work and what won't.

And dont get the idea to get wide wheels and weld factory dually centers into them with little back spacing, NADM wont allow that one either...

Back