rust removal/prevention

Ltk

Broke
washing my truck today i noticed something that made me die a little inside

the bottom of my doors are starting to rust through and the paint is flaking off of it. id like to get this fixed and then probably sprayed with line-x color matched

does this mean ill need to find new doors or are there other methods of fixing this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yzyvy8a8.jpg

damn i was hoping to do anything else.

yzyvy8a8.jpg

damn i was hoping to do anything else.

Why? Just find some other red doors, that was a common color. Takes a few minutes to change them. Way easier than getting new skins (which I believe LMC sells).

Sandblast, body fill smooth, expose primer, paint it, scuff it and undercoat it. Make sure to do the same on the inside of the doors, make sure the holes that drain the water aren't plugged, and I seam seal the joints and then spray rustproofing everywhere. Sounds like a lot, but it's easy and doesn't take but an hour a day for a week or so (have to let everything cure and shrink)

madmike, what do you mean by skins?

sandblasting and all that sounds like it might be cheaper, because my truck was repainted about 2-3 years ago so getting new doiors to match might be tricky

Outer door skin. I believe it involves drilling spot welds and "uncrimping" the edge.

so either way does anyone have any negative reasons not to get it line-x'd on the rocker panels, around the lip of the door, everywhere the door collects salt/mud, etc., as soon as the bodywork is done? i want to prevent rust as good as i can

ive also heard of por-15, but not quite sure what it is/what it does

ill check it out!

going to be a while before any of this actually happens

IF you sand blast the inside and outside of the door where it's rusting then you've effectively removed the rust and are starting over with a completely clean slate. I undercoat all my truck from the rockers to the first body line and the only time that I've had adhesion problems is when the metal wasn't properly prepped right-such as not removing the rust...

Rust is gonna get underneath whatever you use to cover the metal eventually. Your best bet is to really do the surface prep on the outside of the skin if you intend to use the rhino liner.. then coat the insides of the door with fluid film. Id put that inside the rockers, cab corners, fender arches, cab mounts and bed supports every year.
For the undercarriage you can use it too, but if the rust is already bad you may as well scrape it down and use black paraffin.

With proper prep, materials, drainage, and cleanliness you should never have to worry about rust. If rust get's "underneath everything anyhow" then something isn't being done properly.

its a dodge, the sheetmetal itself was never done properly.

Salvage yard would be your best bet for finding a good set of used doors. Especially if you could find them off a southern truck that hasn't been exposed to all the road salt northern trucks see.

Rust is gonna get underneath whatever you use to cover the metal eventually. Your best bet is to really do the surface prep on the outside of the skin if you intend to use the rhino liner.. then coat the insides of the door with fluid film. Id put that inside the rockers, cab corners, fender arches, cab mounts and bed supports every year.
For the undercarriage you can use it too, but if the rust is already bad you may as well scrape it down and use black paraffin.

This is the way to go. Take care of the rust first and then coat the inside of the doors and under the truck with fluid film. Just make sure the truck is bone dry before you use fluid film because it will trap moisture. I live in buffalo ny where the roads are heavily salted in the winter and this is the best rust prevention method I've found yet. And like he said, you're going to want to do this every year until it builds up a coat and then you can go every other or every 3 years. If you do the whole underside of the truck, it will drip for a few days so I always immediately drive down a dirt road and then park it on the grass for a few days.

Last edited:
Back