Rusted out front roof corners?

BigPapa

Truckless
I just acquired a '92 Extended Cab that has some bad rust in the front corners of the roof. The passenger side is actually leaking water and there were flakes in the passenger seat when I picked it up. The driver side is rusted too but I think the fellow that painted it a few years back filled it, possibly with bondo, and it's not leaking.

Is this a common 1st Gen issue? Any suggestions on a fix?

Attachments

• IMG_9060.jpg
    IMG_9060.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20161116_194259.jpg
    IMG_20161116_194259.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 0
The drip rail or whatever people wanna call it, on first gens are very common to be rusted. Truck looks pretty good though!
As for a fix, I'm not a body man soooo...

Fairly common and the best fix is a complete roof clip from an arid climate.
Or a complete re-cab.

Otherwise it's one thing after another, after another, after another when fixing the rust.

Mark.

Fairly common and the best fix is a complete roof clip from an arid climate.
Or a complete re-cab.

Otherwise it's one thing after another, after another, after another when fixing the rust.

Mark.

That's what I'm thinking. The truck has set outside all its life. I'm going to get it under roof and rip all the carpet out and see what the floor pans look like. Right now the carpet is soaked.

Something changed on the 91.5 & up cab finish. What we've found is the rust begins around the middle of the windshield just behind the drip rail. It goes unnoticed until a hole develops. The water enters through this hole and runs to the corners before it goes down the A pillar.

Someone had mounted something like a CB radio or something in my '76 club cab just above my right knee. I knew immediately when mine started leaking. lol.

This cab was over 25 years old before it started leaking.

Definitely want to get the carpet out and get that 'ol girl dried out.

This is a common rust out location. I had an 89 Ramcharger that did the same thing. The rust had spread to over the door frames, and those began to rust too. Whenever you opened a door, it would rain rust down on you and it wasn't going to be long before that truck turned itself into a convertible.

The problem with those old designs was that in those days Chrysler didn't dip the cab in paint and the roof structure is double walled. There was no paint or rust prevention applied inside along the inner seam of the drip rail/windshield pinch seam. The rust started with simple condensation which would cause a rust bubble to form above the windshield, then once a hole developed, rain would do the rest. In some cases a previous owner would fill that cavity between the ceiling and roof with expandable foam, which made the problem worse. This is not an easy fix. Another rust free cab, is the best option. If you go that route, you should consider making a couple of access holes in the ceiling skin, near the windshield and apply a rust preventive.

Ed

I've been thinking about this trucks future and I really don't want to deal with the body work on the roof. I'm considering putting the engine, tranny, and rear axle in a 1985 D150 RC SB I found on Craiglist for a sweet little DD. What modifications will need to be made to the frame and suspension?

Back