S110L and S130L information 2005-2010 F-450/F550

Tcolesanti

ALL NIGHTER
Here we go,
I have a 2007 F-550 with an S130L rear end, w/ 4.88 gears. I am needing to swap to a 4.30 ratio. I have done countless searches, talked to reputable drivetrain guys, and come up with almost nothing. So, here is what I know: The S110L was available in the F-450's and possible F-550's with a 4.30 or 4.88, the S130L was only available in the F-550 with a 4.88 ratio. Here are some links to the specs on the rear ends:

S130L: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXIP-0055.pdf

S110L: http://www2.dana.com/pdf/AXIP-0054.pdf

When I looked through these catalogues listed above, as you can see there are plenty of gearsets available, so I spoke with Mark at coast driveline in Ventura, and he informed me that the gearsets and carriers are not available to him from Eaton/Spicer/Dana (or whoever owns this company now) and that I would have to purchase the gears and carrier through Ford. So my question is, has anyone been successful in swapping ratios in there F-450/F-550? And if you were, where did you get the parts? Also, does anyone know for a fact the S110 and S130 axle housings are identical dimensionally? ie if axle shafts and third members could be interchanged?

-Tom

Oh, another thing I heard was that the only gearsets available for Ford specific (due to the ABS tone ring) was 4.30 or 4.88. However the other gearsets could allegedly be machined down an 1/8" (thickness of tonewheel) and installed in a ford carrier. Does anyone know if this is true?

-Tom

Some more info, the 3rd member housing casting numbers are identical between the S110 and the S130. The axle shafts are the same length and have the same number/pattern of holes on the mounting surface, although the spline count is different (34 for the S110 and 36 for the S130), and the diameter of the axle shafts are different. This shows the mounting patterns on the front of the axle housings are the same as well as the hubs Ford used were the same for both axles.

So in theory, you could take a 4.30 ratio drop-out, and axle shafts from an S110L and install them in an S130L housing.

-Tom

I am curious why to use this axle. The axle shafts are only 1.61" So your still gonna spend big money for axles.

This is for my tow rig, I have an F106 rockwell in my pull truck. All I am looking to do is change the ratio in it.

-Tom

I was mistaken on the axle shaft lengths. The S110L used in the F450 is wider by about an inch and a half than the S130L used in the F550. I used the dropout from the S110L to get the 4.30 gear but then cut the 34 spline axles down to fit the narrower S130L housing.

-Tom

That about sums it up I think. I've debated swapping up to 4.88s and the larger ring gear myself, but been pretty happy with the 4.30s. I have a Dana spicer PDF on the 110 130 rears. you want me to email it to you it has some detailed specs in it.

Last edited:
maybe it'll attach here....... fingers crossed.

Attachments

• Dana Spicer 110-130.pdf
    633.1 KB · Views: 0
Back