s300 rebuild?

04DEEZELRAM

Offshore operations
hey guys im about to rebuild my htt turbo..and was wondering if you had to torque the compressor wheel when you but it back on??? and whats the torque?

hmmmmmmmmm

:poke: what about balance ???

turbo's only spin @ like what..... 120,000 rpm or so ??:pop:

more than that...

if the wheels are balanced, you'll be fine, but you can index the wheel to the shaft if you want to put it right back the way it came apart

the wheels should be balanced still....i was wanting to swap my 66mm wheel for a 62, but not sure if you can do that?

its a 66mm turbo now...and i have a 62mm wheel and compressor housing that i want to put on, just not sure since the backing plate is machined for a 66 if the 62 will work??

its a 66mm turbo now...and i have a 62mm wheel and compressor housing that i want to put on, just not sure since the backing plate is machined for a 66 if the 62 will work??

it works fine. thats what i am running right now in my 12v.

ok thanks for the quick reply guys im doing it as we speak

Last edited:
even if you index the wheel to the shaft you will have to get the turbo balanced if you want it to last. a turbo generally spins at around 5k at idle and about 135,000 (I think that is an HX35 at peak efficiency at approx. 38psi) but they can spin faster than that, and at those speeds, grams count... you'll never index the wheel perfectly back onto the shaft the way it was.

Comp wheel torque contact plus 90 degrees. Thats worked for me for years. (small drop of blue loctite)

even if you index the wheel to the shaft you will have to get the turbo balanced if you want it to last. a turbo generally spins at around 5k at idle and about 135,000 (I think that is an HX35 at peak efficiency at approx. 38psi) but they can spin faster than that, and at those speeds, grams count... you'll never index the wheel perfectly back onto the shaft the way it was.

I'm assuming he's going to put a balanced 62mm wheel on it... if both wheels are balanced, you're fine

it is doable.....it doesn't have to be balanced......the s300 ett wheels are self balancing through the design of the blades

rebuilt mine from a 66mm to a 62mm and it didn't fit right, so we had to get another wheel and housing and it fit fine....... it all depends if the back of the wheel and backing plate are cut out the same for fitment......

we just tightened the piss out of it and it's been holding great for about 10k now

How would a profession turbo shop balance the whole assembly? Do they install the wheels onto the center section and bolt it to a balance machine?

Common sense tells me the only efficient way to balance a turbo is to balance the shaft+turbine wheel as an assembly, and then balance the compressor wheel by itself, then rebuild the turbo.

How would a profession turbo shop balance the whole assembly? Do they install the wheels onto the center section and bolt it to a balance machine?

Common sense tells me the only efficient way to balance a turbo is to balance the shaft+turbine wheel as an assembly, and then balance the compressor wheel by itself, then rebuild the turbo.

some shops can balance the assembly... most balance the turbine wheel and comp wheels separate, and they work just fine like that

there is no weights on a s3 wheel and they are balanced already, there is no need to balance the wheel to the shaft.....forrest

There is a big difference between "balanced already" and "self-balancing".

I'm sorry I mis-spoke! I meant balanced already...........

for weights i mean, the shaft nut is cut for balance on some chargers, is it not?

Back