S300sx3 vs gtx3582r??

Chowderhead72

I am ready to buy my first turbo for the truck in sig. Plans include twins later using the turbo in question as the secondary, but for now I am looking for something to get me by with a little more performance/cooling than stock. Until finding the sx3 I had planned on a gtx3582r with a t4 1.06 housing in hopes of keeping the drive pressure down.

I have already bought a htt stainless 3gen T4 manifold so I would like to utilize that until twins time.

Is the gtx35 worth double the money in my situation? For clarity this is the sx3 I am talking about http://www.spsturbostore.com/borgwarner/267-s300sx3-62-83mm-fmw-c-w-100-a-r-vtf-pns30062fmw67100.html

Thanks for the advice.

There are turbo shops producing the s300s with a varient of the 11-blade gtx wheel. Feedback on them is limited in regards to improvement over the std cast s300 wheels but if it were my money I would probably try one.

The GTX will spool better with the T4 than the S300' which might be a good thing with 38's. I have a GT3782R and wouldn't trade it for a journal bearing turbo.

The GTX will spool better with the T4 than the S300' which might be a good thing with 38's. I have a GT3782R and wouldn't trade it for a journal bearing turbo.

You could buy a spool flange and the s300 with the 11blade wheel and still be cheaper than a gtx charger with better spool than the gtx charger. Ofcourse, you would have to make the geometry (piping) adjustments for the spool flange. Just some more food for thought.

I am really leaning towards the Garrett but my only concern is drive pressure. AH64 your turbo uses the same turbine as the 35 correct? T4? Ar? How's your drive pressure? I read your review on CF last year(or more) and was very impressed. I may have to re-read... If you had to do it over with the current offerings what changes would you make? Would you just go for a simple stocker/twin? Custom gtx3788r hybrid? Smaller/larger bb twins?

I am really leaning towards the Garrett but my only concern is drive pressure. AH64 your turbo uses the same turbine as the 35 correct? T4? Ar? How's your drive pressure? I read your review on CF last year(or more) and was very impressed. I may have to re-read... If you had to do it over with the current offerings what changes would you make? Would you just go for a simple stocker/twin? Custom gtx3788r hybrid? Smaller/larger bb twins?

For how I use my truck this turbo is perfect, spool is great (even with the trailer in tow at 8K feet) and the air is cool.

Yes mine has the GT37 turbine with the GT35 61.4mm comp wheel, except under heavy acceleration my drive pressure is always 1:1 or better. Towing up grades it will be as low as .75:1 and empty cruise is about 1:1 or slightly better.

A hybrid GT37 turbine with the GTX35 wheel would be VERY temping.

If I did it again I would still ditch the stocker in a heartbeat and probably end up where I am at, or look at the hybrid.

As for twins I would put a GT4202R under this turbo now, but how I use the truck I am not sure the 1-2 times a year I "need" the extra air is worth the cost.

For performance twins the GTX would make a screaming secondary.

I am not a wiz at reading turbine maps, but it looks like the 1.06 on GTX will flow a little more than the .89 in the GT37 than I have, and 10 lb/min more compressor flow.

Have you talked with Tom at Turbo Re-Source, or Pat with Big Twin Diesel?

I have been back and forth with joe and jose at Forced Induction. I was told that Toms answer would be anything but the gtx35; doesn't like the the 35 for whatever reason. I think I am pretty well sold on the 35 however I do have a few questions:

On an aftermarket turbo how do you connect the compressor side to the intercooler boots as the outlet points at the right tire where the stock or any of the "stage" turbos have a 90 built into the turbo that points forward?

Any better ideas on t4 ar housings? I was set on the t4 1.06 to help keep dp down but am I going too far?

As for a primary for twins I was between a gt4202/t6 or a gtx4508/t6 depending on what the future holds; but that is a conversation for another day....

Btw: in the 65k miles I have had my truck it has never seen a trailer or more than 1k in the bed, it's a toy. I hate lag and the smarty smoke has gotten old. I want twins now but the checkbook says no. I want longevity over cheap hence the love of Garrett and building one piece at a time.

Where the hell is EFILIVE anyway! (Rant off)

Last edited:
I don't know if there are 90° boots, or how folks do it. My GT37832R came with a 3rd gen cover. (Which if you just machined the stage 2 comp cover you could put the GTX wheel in the stage 2 with the larger turbine).

I have a T3 .89, and sometimes wish it was a .85 but I use my truck for towing and driving around back roads. On the smaller 35 housing a 1.06 may not be too bad.

I don't know if there are 90° boots, or how folks do it. My GT37832R came with a 3rd gen cover. (Which if you just machined the stage 2 comp cover you could put the GTX wheel in the stage 2 with the larger turbine).

I have a T3 .89, and sometimes wish it was a .85 but I use my truck for towing and driving around back roads. On the smaller 35 housing a 1.06 may not be too bad.

Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't the .85 you speak of give you less lag at the cost of more drive pressure and decreased top end performance? Also the gtx35 has the same turbine side as yours right? From what I have read the 37 doesn't deal with high boost pressure well without surging(the reason almost no one uses the 3788). The 82 is a more logical solution vs the 88 for this reason; yet another reason for a gtx37..

Yes the .85 would spool a little quicker, and run a little more boost at the same flow. I would still expect to be better than 1:1 below 2500-2700, which is fine for my use. The only reason I say a .85 may be better is at .75:1 I have room for a little more restriction for airflow purposes.

The GTX35 has a 68x62mm turbine wheel and I have a 72.5x64mm turbine wheel.

The main difference on all 3 stages is the compressor. The other difference is the turbine housing on the 1/2 is a .89 and the 3 uses a .99 (but Turbo Re-Soirce will sell it with a .89)

Stage 1 uses the 59.1x62mm comp from the GT3782
Stage 2 uses the 61.:x62mm comp from the GT3582R
Stage 3 uses the 63.5x88mm comp and is a true GT3788R, with an application specific turbine housing and comp cover.

Thanks...

I think if I knew I would be happy with a single the stage3 with the new billet wheel would be my choice but in the long run I am looking to twins with fast spool and 100's. 35/4202 seems like a winner. If money trees start growing faster maybe 35/4508 with 200's and a big pump would be great.

Just noticed a typo, stage 2 uses a 61.4x62mm wheel.

I would love a set of GT37/GT42 twins, insane spool and great flow.. but $$$.

I know you already have the T4, but what about a Stage 2 for now and then put the 4202 under it later? The Stage 2 is a little less flow than the GTX, but has the slightly larger turbine and is cheaper. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Ran out of EDIT time...

I know you already have the T4, but what about a Stage 2 for now and then put the 4202 under it later? The Stage 2 is a little less flow than the GTX, but has the slightly larger turbine and is cheaper. Just a thought.

GTX peaks at ~75 lb/min at about 28 psi, GT peaks at ~67 lb/min and 32 psi. At 67 lb/min the GTX is good to about 35 psi.

I rarely get my GT3782R over 31 psi, my boost went down about 5 psi and flow went up with the turbo swap.

It's been a few years but I think I paid around $1700.

The Stage 2/3 are plug and play, no additional adapters are required.

Back