S475 - S480 question

seeker1056

gear head
anyone know if the architecture of the two is the same ie - distance to flange from centre on the cover, discharge flange size, and the exhaust flange etc??

I would like to change my S475 for an S480 I can borrow but don't want to have to do a ton of fabricating just to try a turbo out

thanks in advance

Yes, maybe. Ha. There are several different compressor covers, any one of which could be machined to fit either the 75mm or 80mm wheels. Either 5 or 5.5 inch inlet, slip fit or v-band outlet as well.

Turbine there are even more options. I only have experience with the t6, 1.32A/R housing, but I *think* all t6 turbos use a 5" outlet and all t4s are 4."

Look them both over very closely, there's a good chance it'll drop right in but far from 100%.

You can use the same cover, someone will have to machine it to fit the 80mm wheel tho

Frame size is the same, but as stated, be sure the housing and cover are the same type and it should drop-in.

If its just an out of the box s475 and you buy an out of the box s480 it will bolt up perfect.

The turbin housings are the same and cartridge is too but the inlet is 5.5 inches instead of 5 inch and the compressor outlet comes as a slip fit hose setup instead of the vband. A vband can be welded on to make that match up. But most air intakes are gonna need a adapter boot to hook to turbo. Not big deals but things that if in a twin configuration can cause issues.

^x2 an out of the box s480 is a 5" inlet and vbanded. You have to order one with a race cover to get the 5.5" inlet and slip boot outlet.

^x2 an out of the box s480 is a 5" inlet and vbanded. You have to order one with a race cover to get the 5.5" inlet and slip boot outlet.

Actually an out of the box s480 is a 5.5 slip fit if I am not mistaken. Several shops will build the s480 with the 0.63 a/r 5" inlet cover because it is cheaper, but borg doesn't make it with that as if you have seen an s480 with the standard cover, you can see how thin parts of the housing is.

Borg Warner part number for a s480 is 177287. I can't find no part number for one with a standard cover. I have seen one and the bore was extremely thin around the wheel. It was a custom made setup. The box s480 came off of the big john deer motors and the covers originally had the JD emblem on then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
Back