S475 vs S475SX4

Twoforme2

In looking at Primary Turbos for a set of compounds I have come across the S475 and the S475SX4
The only difference I see between them is the Exhaust side.

The S475 turbine is a 95.5mm inducer and 87.9mm exducer and exhaust housing A/R is 1.32
the S475SX4 turbine is 83.5 inducer and a 74mm exducer and the exhaust housing A/R is 1.10

Obviously the 475SX4 would spool a little quicker, but would have a little less top end.

Question is would the SX4 model make a decent primary in a set of compounds? AND How much of a limiting factor would the smaller A/R and turbine wheel be on the top end?

To answer your first question, yes:

Do a search for posts by RonA. He put down some good numbers with an s475 and 1.10 exhaust housing.

what about the exducer size of the s475? I run the s472sx (2.8) version and checked on upgrading the the 3.0 but the only differance was the inducer size. My buddy runs the 475 as a single on his truck. I thought they actually have a bigger comp wheel in the turbo.

According to what I find they both use the same compressor wheel.
74.7mm inducer diameter and 100.8 exducer diameter

Looks to me from the sizing on the S475SX is for the guys lookin to run it as a single.....??

the s475 with the 1.32a/r housing is what most use in their compound setups and the s475sx4 with the smaller turbine wheel and housing is generally used as a single

The SX4 series designation means its in the Airwerks performance program. WIll flow more and slightly quicker spool as was described to me by my turbo builder.

I'd say it depends on your power goals. If you want that smaller t-wheel and housing i'd consider an external gate in front of it!

sx series is performance based smaller wheel
the 4(sx4) means a t6 housing
the 3(sx3) means a t4 housing.

Also last I knew the sx series were only available in the 2.8 and the 3.0 compressors.

Actually if memory serves me correctly, the sx series wheels aren't a new wheel. It was the s400 wheel that was used on the smaller s400's(65mm) and mated to the larger compressor wheels.

I had a turbo made nearly 4 years ago. It was a 65mm s400 modified to take a 3.0 wheel.

I ran a 75/83/1.1 primary at just over 700hp without needing an external gate.(I was using a 64/71/16 seconday) Much nicer than a 75/96/1.32 for daily driving. Towed great too.

Well my thinking was this would make a nice alternative to the Standard 475 by allowing a little quicker spoolup at what I would presume to be minimal overall top end loss.
I would think the sx4 with something "smallish" like a 62/65 or a s300g might make a neat twin setup. Kind of a "tweener" between a Tow set and a race set. Something that would be fun stop light to stop light (and my wife could drive it without blacking out the sun when she drives)yet have enough stuff to have a lot of fun at the strip on the weekends.

I am trying to find an alternative to a stock/s400...cause I think I want just a bit more than that is capable of, however I don't want any slower spoolup than the 62/71 I am running now. I know...I want my cake and wanna eat it too.

RonA
What would you run for a single on a 12v as a single upgrade from a HTT 66/71/13ss?

Also any other input welcome from the general population

Tim

RonA
What would you run for a single on a 12v as a single upgrade from a HTT 66/71/13ss?

Tim

I wish I could help, but the last single I ran was a Dodgezilla when they first came out.

RonA

Tim

i dont know what kind of money you want to spend but mark burris has a k31 2.8 with a silver bullet style housing i dont remember all the specs but i think the turbin housing was a 14cm wastegated t3. He said it would be the mostt streetable big turbo that they had. I seen it on display at dhra indy two years ago. It was like 1750$ That is still cheaper than the bullet66.

Probably just an s300 with the 2.8 wheel, and a cover cut for it.

i dont know what kind of money you want to spend but mark burris has a k31 2.8 with a silver bullet style housing i dont remember all the specs but i think the turbin housing was a 14cm wastegated t3. He said it would be the mostt streetable big turbo that they had. I seen it on display at dhra indy two years ago. It was like 1750$ That is still cheaper than the bullet66.

Thats the turbo i have, but i elected to go with the 16cm housing. I like it alot, nice streetable turbo for th size

Probably just an s300 with the 2.8 wheel, and a cover cut for it.

Not the one i have, Industrial told me i could have the 14cm gated housing or the 16cm non gated for it. Its a K31 base, with billet comp wheel, and a silver bullet 12 blade turbine wheel....

Back