Sad day for Tulsa racers

toolmanoffroad

Dont tread on me
After taking a year off from racing I was planning on getting back in the game next spring. Hell I even quit my "real" job so I could have my weekends open again, and tonight I find out that Tulsa Raceway Park will be closing at the end of the month. This is off the TRP website, and I know there is one on yellow bullet also. I hope this isnt a repost... :bang :doh:

http://tulsaracewaypark.com/forum2/index.php?topic=22250.0

It is with great sadness that we announce the closing of Tulsa Raceway Park, effective October 24, 2011. When Tulsa International Raceway was purchased in 2003, the decision was made to tear down and replace the existing facility with the hopes of restoring the drag strip to its glory days. With the help of many hard working employees and loyal racers and fans, we grew year after year. Unfortunately, the economy over the last three years has taken its toll.

I appreciate the many people who helped me along the way make Tulsa Raceway Park one of the finest race tracks in the Midwest and hope that someone is able to continue the drag racing tradition that Tulsa has embraced for 46 years. For those racers who achieved success this year, we are planning the Champions’ Banquet for early November so they can be honored by their fellow racers.

We’re not done yet, either. Besides the Throw Down in T-Town race scheduled for October 14-15, the Diesel Drags and Mod vs. Rod race on October 22 and the Duck Drags on October 22, several of you have asked for one last bracket race. We are looking at having that race on October 16.

I wish each one of you success in the future, whether it be on the track or elsewhere, and look forward to the opening of the next, new drag strip.

Sad to see this. The closest thing to a repost is that I posted it in the thread discussing possible sites for next year's NHRDA World Finals. We were getting a lot of people liking the idea of trying for Tulsa. Bummer!

Yeah I'm really saddened by this news. It's 20 min from my house. They are gonna turn it into a rock quarry! The track is pretty nice and has really nice stands and a decent tower as well. This sucks!!!

Yeah I'm really saddened by this news. It's 20 min from my house. They are gonna turn it into a rock quarry! The track is pretty nice and has really nice stands and a decent tower as well. This sucks!!!

Buy it...put a bbq joint in.

Fat fingered from my phone...probably from a porcelain command post.

Yes this sucks.. the head office for my company is in Tulsa, I was hoping to be able to combine a company trip with a race,, lol, How many members on here are from Tulsa?

Theres several in the surrounding area. We are about an hour and a half away.

Yes this sucks.. the head office for my company is in Tulsa, I was hoping to be able to combine a company trip with a race,, lol, How many members on here are from Tulsa?

Me, Brian Carter, nick carter "Displacedtexan", Tyler Basham, Aaron slayden, and a few others who don't post as much.

Nice track, I hate to see it go as well. Lots of places are not surviving this long stretch of poor economy, its a shame....

Tucker

Me, Brian Carter, nick carter "Displacedtexan", Tyler Basham, Aaron slayden, and a few others who don't post as much.

Thanks for the love bit*h.
Looks like Thunder Valley down by Norman will get a little busier. Although they need to make a few improvements.

I hope we can get a get together the next time I am down there for business.. I would like to meet all you guys!

Thanks for the love bit*h.
Looks like Thunder Valley down by Norman will get a little busier. Although they need to make a few improvements.

For sure. Track prep is not the best unless you run during a scheduled event, parking area could use some improvement as well.

It's back!
Tulsa Raceway Park Gets New Lease On Life - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
TULSA, Oklahoma -

Race fans can breathe a sigh of relief Friday thanks to a new public-private partnership that will take over operations at Tulsa Raceway Park.

Two local businessmen, Todd Martin and Keith Haney, have teamed up with the City of Owasso in a multi-year lease deal with the current owners.

Martin and Haney said they will be bringing in many different types of entertainment that will attract more people and benefit the local economy.

"[We] are committed to breaking boundaries when it comes to the entertainment headed to this facility," Martin said. "You can count on Tulsa Raceway Park having a new and exciting feel."

The announcement comes just a month after the former owner said it would close at the end of October amid rumors that a nearby quarry was looking to take over the land.

The track was called Tulsa International Raceway when it opened in the 1960s on the east side of Highway 169, a couple miles north of I-244.

10/05/2011 Related Story: Tulsa Drag Racing Track To Close

Several different events are already scheduled for 2012. They include carnivals, mud races, monster trucks, jet cars, concerts and the legendary ThrowDown in T-Town which will remain a free ticket event for spectators.

Back