Safety Discussion

Racebooths

SCT dealer & custom tuner
This thread can be a place for general drag racing safety discussion. A few topics that were brought up in the other thread are:

What speed or time should a cage be required?

What kind of cage should be required?

Tire safety. Are low profile front tires ok when running slick on the rear?

Air Shutoff

Also we hope McRats will share some tips on his amazing driving ability and how he is able to check everything prior to a run to eliminate the possibility of crashing.:hehe::hehe::poke::hehe:

People keep bringing up roll bars in 11.50-13.0 trucks. I believe as strong as the trucks are built they could probably handle most wrecks at those speeds. Also, with those trucks theres a little less risk of breaking parts that will cause a wreck and a little more time to correct if you do hit a slick spot. I'm by no means saying that they won't wreck or that the driver can always prevent a wreck. The Question I would like answered is:

Are the factory safety features going to protect a driver enough to warrant not requiring a cage?

If your truck is strictly a racer or you can deal with caging your daily driver I would certainly encourage it but I think we need to find and review some reports on crashes before requiring it. Im sure theres been enough of these trucks rolled on street to get an idea of how they handle it.

Rollbars/rollcages in anything 12.00 or slower is ridiculous, it will kill off the biggest group of racers at events-bracket racers.

This thread can be a place for general drag racing safety discussion. A few topics that were brought up in the other thread are:

What speed or time should a cage be required? 11.99 and faster

What kind of cage should be required? 4 point min 6 point by 11.5
Tire safety. Are low profile front tires ok when running slick on the rear? low pro on the front is bad news.. it creats a serious understeer condition and can result in a rollover also running bias ply slicks with rasial fronts is bad news as well.. when was the last time you say a vehicle with a over steer conditon try and roll with out hitting a ledge?

Air Shutoff 11.00 and faster along with electric shut off. and fuel shut off similare to the sled puller setup.

I honestly believe that the Speed the NHRA sets for Cage/role Bar is fine, I think the cage strength is what should be questioned.

Back