School me on Harmonic Balancers please

Begle1

So I just used a 20-30 year old stock balancer when I put my new engine together.

I see all these high-dollar Fuidamprs or whatnot. What's the point?

Am I foolish for not getting a new balancer? What sort of new balancer do I want? What happens if I don't get a new one?

I've heard that on our trucks they will noticeably smooth out engine vibration. Which is good for longevity of rotating assembly. I would go with Fluidampr or a stock 6.7 which is a similar style to the fluidamprs.

If the rubber isolator still looks good and isn't cracked all to hell I'd just leave it on there.

There's no worthwhile benefit for a low rpm engine.

Big trucks have 'em, race trucks have 'em.....I want one. Not very high on the list at the moment.

If the rubber isolator still looks good and isn't cracked all to hell I'd just leave it on there.

There's no worthwhile benefit for a low rpm engine.

Ah, so they're mostly important for the 3500 RPM+ guys? I have a VE so that's not me.

Quiets down that chatter in a dual disk clutch

Put them on both my trucks for this reason. The resonance in direct gear with a DD is pretty bad between 1500-2k. It certainly helps quiet it down a bunch.

Big trucks have 'em, race trucks have 'em.....I want one. Not very high on the list at the moment.

A few decades ago someone explained to me that boosted V12 diesels didn’t need them? Or it may have been V12 2 stroke Detroit’s? I think the conversation may have referred to road trains? “Naturally balanced”

Again, Decades ago. I’m not 100% here.

Cummins put a factory viscous dampener on the medium duty trucks and industrial engines at about 210 hp since the early or mid 90's.

A few decades ago someone explained to me that boosted V12 diesels didn’t need them? Or it may have been V12 2 stroke Detroit’s? I think the conversation may have referred to road trains? “Naturally balanced”

Again, Decades ago. I’m not 100% here.
2 strikes, different inertials on the pistons as they travel, more consistent rotation speed.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Putting a high dollar balancer on a ve truck is a total waist of money.

A 12v is a 12v. It doesn't matter what fuels it. The viscus-damper is worthwhile. The stupid over-pricing, not so much.

Pending the application, a viscus-damper is stock/OEM on many of the 12v's.

A 12v is a 12v. It doesn't matter what fuels it. The viscus-damper is worthwhile. The stupid over-pricing, not so much.

Pending the application, a viscus-damper is stock/OEM on many of the 12v's.

Buy what am I going to notice if I bought a viscous damper? What's the real benefit?

Looking at them, the real benefit might just be the built-in mag pickups.

Wasn't a marine 12 valve built with one, it didn't have tach pickup slots though?

No. My boat has regular Dodge style balancers. Just larger diameter.

Every marine 12v I've seen has been the same.

The late model 6.7 engines have the viscous style. Like the pickup trucks.

I have a Cummins marine viscous damper I bought from a fellow here. It doesn’t have a pulley. I didn’t think about it or realize it until I got it. I can post the part number tomorrow if anyone wants it.

They used a spacer and then a stamped steel pulley with the viscous damper.

I tried putting a 6.7 damper on my '98 24-valve once but it physically won't fit, interferes with the oil pan rail. I ended up going with Fluidampr and it makes a noticeable difference, even not turning high revs or high HP. Smoother and quieter at higher RPM.

Back