School me on TDI's......

Mr.T

DPF's are gay
So......i took a job in north Dakota working 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, and I'll be driving from Rexburg up to killdeer for work, and not wanting to rack up a ****load of miles on the LLY I've decided to purchase a TDI for the trips back and forth. My questions are:
1: are there any years to avoid
2: what years are the most mod friendly
3: what in gods name is a "Wolfsburg edition"
4: what mods are a "must do" on a TDI
5: how much added power can the auto/standard hold over stock.
6: any other things I should consider when buying a TDI?

My best advice for the years I'm familiar with (1999.5-2004) do not get an automatic. In the standard versions it seems like you would need a fully built engine before you could break anything other than a clutch.

Also I am biased in liking my 01 TDI 5 speed (which is for sale btw haha) its been a hell of a reliable car and the mileage is just insane. It feels like you can drive for free!

Being the manual transmission enthusiast that I am, I am very heavily leaning that direction

I'd say the ALH (99-02 IIRC) are the most mod friendly. Definitely get a manual, the autos are junk. Mine dyno'd 203hp but the differential grenaded after 9 months. Other than that, it held together well LOL
My best was 53mpg from here to SLC. Lowest was 28 driving it like I stole it around town. Average around 42 stock, 38 modded.

Another vote for alh (99-03) for me too! I freakin love my car! I feel like I'm cheating when I fill it up! Lol and it's super easy to work on! And big gains with simple mods!

The 06 model year has cam wear issues, FYI. Nothing major, just have to replace it, mine is going to get replaced with my timing belt change at 200k, showing signs of wear at 181k now. Also, if you get one with an EGR go ahead and delete it, remove it, and put a tune in it to get rid of the CEL.

2000 to 03. Stay way from the 99.5!!! Its a half year car they put whatever they had laying around from early 99 in. Delete egr cooler, make sure it has a good timing belt, clean out the intake system ( tubes and all) and remove the vent from the filler neck so you can fit 2 more gallon in it. Get a manual because the autos can not hold much past stock. Find and auto car pump (11MM) and swap that in, a set of injectors, and a 17/22 turbo is a good up grade. If you get a good deal on a blown auto the a 5 or 6 speed swap is pretty simple to do and on tdiclub there is a full step by step.

Where's a good place to look for aftermarket parts? I hear the name kermatdi and dieselgeek thrown around a lot. Are there any significant reasons why I shouldn't buy a 2003+? Because there's some nice 04-05's I've been eyeballing

Alh wins my vote. 99.5 aint bad some little things that they have trrouble with hot starts for example but that can be taking care of with a flash. Have computer flashed delete egr and buy a good timing belt kit and clean intake. Make sure you use all the proper tools and follow the step by step directions when changing it. Having a vcds is real nice also. I personally dont like the pd engines.

Alh is simple and easiest I'd say to work on. Idparts.com, ecstuning, kerma, dieselgeek, boraparts. All goos places. 99.5 cars are chip swapping computers and 2000 up is plug and play when it comes to tunes

Last edited:
Where's a good place to look for aftermarket parts? I hear the name kermatdi and dieselgeek thrown around a lot. Are there any significant reasons why I shouldn't buy a 2003+? Because there's some nice 04-05's I've been eyeballing

My turbos waste gate is funky/sticky and I was told the cam was on its way down the ****ter 15k miles ago. It had a pretty good miss to it this morning in 13° so I'm gonna inspect the can myself this weekend.

The rest is quirky wiring **** and the vinyl has peeled off all of the surfaces of the buttons.

There is a body and engine split at 04.5

Reaper of Threads

Last edited:
Back