secondary choice

03 5.9

Right now I'm running a 62/74 over an S480 with the 1.32 housing. I was wondering if stepping up to a billet 66 compressor wheel would hinder spoolup or driveability and make towing more challenging which I really don't do much of but don't want it to be a problem if I do. I'm already planning on putting a 1.1 housing on the 80. Hoping to get over the 800 HP mark. Truck is an auto with 4.10s. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1.10 housing on the s480 and a 66mm billet compressor wheel on the secondary will spool fine, I doubt you'll notice much difference in spoolup vs your current setup. If there ED turbos, let Chris or Glenn help make your decision.

Last edited:
Well I should have said 800 hp for now with room to grow, I have talked to ED was just lookin for some more opinions

He said it all depends on the truck, my buddy has a billet wheel that he isn't going to use is why I'm asking. I just don't want the boost to come on so fast that its hard to control and really narrows up the powerband.

i had the same exact twin setup except the 62 had a 16cm exhaust housing. 1.32 housing on the 480. I put a 66 wheel & housing on the 62. At the drag strip when the truck shifted it would fall under the chargers. I went back to the 62. Since then I changed exhaust housings to a 13 cm & a 1.10 cm. Much cooler egts and better manners. I plan on putting the 66 back on and see how that works now. YMMV

I'd definatly move to the 1.10 housing for the 480.... If your buddy has a wheel and cover lying around, try it.... See what you like better.... Although I am not 100% sold on larger secondaries, I do enjoy the lower EGT's...

I sled pull quite a bit so keeping them lit would be an issue too. I've read about a lot of setups that work for some and others hate it. I don't see to see a lot of guys with the 74 exhaust wheel is why I'm unsure about it.

So maybe ill sell his billet wheel. I'm already planning on running an external gate, do you mean on the primary? What would you recommend going to for a primary?

You can keep your piping the same with a s483 s488 or s491 but for your wants the 83 or 88 would work what turbine is your current turbo? and the external gate would be to bypass the secondary so it wont be a restriction for the big one once everything gets moving.

My 480 I guess has the common turbine 96/88 I believe. Wanna explain the wastegate again? I was going to run one between the manifold and secondary and vent it to the atmosphere not sure if that's what you were saying?

Why in HELL would you do that?!?!?!?
My 480 I guess has the common turbine 96/88 I believe. Wanna explain the wastegate again? I was going to run one between the manifold and secondary and vent it to the atmosphere not sure if that's what you were saying?

the venting it to atmosphere part is just a waste of energy, that extra flow can help your bottom turbo spool up faster and run harder. With that turbine and housing you could go up to a 91mm wheel but I'd do a 88 and try to find a smaller turbine housing.

the venting it to atmosphere part is just a waste of energy, that extra flow can help your bottom turbo spool up faster and run harder. With that turbine and housing you could go up to a 91mm wheel but I'd do a 88 and try to find a smaller turbine housing.

I took it as he was calling his primary, the "atmosphere" turbo..

We'll see..

I hate the 15 different names people use for the turbos in twins LOL Lets just go with mama turbo and baby turbo :hehe::hehe:

Back