Service Throttle Soon

moosehunt

Wife jumped in her 95 6.5 T.D. and headed to town, got a mile or two down the road and said the STS light came on and she had no acceleration. She limped home at idle with the Emergency lights on and jumped in my rig and left me to sort this out. Everything Ive found on-line so far is steering me in two directions, one sight says throttle position sensor, another says its an electronic fuel pedal. Ive also read that shutting the rig down and restarting will get you your acceleration back but the problem will continue to get worse. Any Ideas?

A 95 6.5 will be a drive by wire set-up, and uses an APPS(accelorator pedal position sensor) AKA throttle pedal assembly on a 6.5 truck. They rarely fail, but it does sometimes happen. First off I would unplug and check the connections at the throttle pedal and see if there is any corrsion or pushed out pins. The throttle pedal sensor consists of 3 individual sensors in one housing, and when any one of them fails the service throttle soon light will come on. Normally if only one fails the light will come on and you will still have some pedal left, but I believe if 2 of them fail then it will go into extreme limp, and if all 3 fail you are left with idle only. Head over to GM 6.5 Diesel Engines and ask over there as they probably have the diag sheets for it over there, or email me your email address to thefermdog@aol.com and I will send you some diag sheets for it.

Most likely you have a failed throttle pedal sensor, but it could be an ECM as I had one fail way back when my BURB was still a 6.5.

THEFERMANATOR.......Thanks so much.....E-Mail sent, and also a thanks for the other GM Diesel Engines Forum. Im going threw the forums now over there..

Back