SFI Approved bellhousings.

PSDPlayer

Captain Negativity!
So since I would be needing an SFI bellhousing for a Torqshift. I went ahead and made one. This is the 5R110 Bellhousing being printed in plastic for it to be cast into aluminum to be sent out for SFI approval. This bellhousing will allow compliance for NHRA to actually run at one of there events if you are going fast enough which is what we are rapidly approaching. Dodge Pattern is done. GM pattern is done. These will fit our converters. This will also allow easy swapping of transmissions behind other engines.

All of this started in Solidworks. Then I was able to print them on my 3D printer.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Removed the bell...

picture.php

Printing them in 3D out of plastic to be used to make the casting mold...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Some Assembly Required...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Looks good. Thank god for the 3d printers. It's made life so much easier being able to find the screw ups before tooling has been made. We've had ours for about 7 years now and cannot remember how much it's saved in time and money. I think anyone today makeing parts has got to have one, there just that much help.

Its going to be 3 model cartridges and 2 support. So its about 1250 bucks in material to print it. I'm into the printer about 66k with the premium 09 Solidworks. Just easier to have the best.

Just think how nice it would be to be able to bolt up a nv4500 to the back of a Dmax and have enough room to run a triple disc clutch.

Piece number 4 should be done by now. And another 22 hours, it will be complete.

Are you sure it will house the 13" convertor? Thats the prob. Im running into with aftermarket bells, thier extra thickness in the housing makes it so as the largest convertor that will fit is an 11" or smaller. Ive yet to find a bell that anyone makes that will accept a 13"er, If anyone knows someone or something else that will, I'd be very interested in that info. I jusy know that a JW Ultra Bell wont work, already got one and tried......
Nice work on that piece for sure, hope it works well for you if it does you need to go to market with it! Ryan

Yeah it will fit a 13" converter. That is a Torqshift converter sitting inside of it. It was designed and assembled with a over a 14" diameter ring gear around the flex plate. Its deep enough to clear the tallest stacks of multi disc clutches available.

picture.php

Just think how nice it would be to be able to bolt up a nv4500 to the back of a Dmax and have enough room to run a triple disc clutch.

The 3D plastic printers are tits! When I was in college, they had just purchased one my last year. We only got to model discs for concrete disc throwing competition. It still is incredible to me though!

Chris, can the Dodge 4500 bell NOT fit a triple disk in it or were you just refering to the GM 4500 bell that can't??? I figured they (the dodge bells) could since some are running them or so I thought.

He was talking about the JW bells that don't fit a 13" converter.

I don't read SuperSonic's post like that, which is who I meant when I said Chris. As in, Chris Watson. :D

I also don't mean to take from the topic at hand. My apologies for posting a bit O.T. Carry on. :happymugs:

I read Chris (super sonic)'s post as he was kinda hinting at maybe a bellhousing being made to fit an nv4500 behind a duramax. I'm guessing all the conversion bells currently being made for such a specific application are not made to fit the triple disc his puller is going to use.

I read Chris (super sonic)'s post as he was kinda hinting at maybe a bellhousing being made to fit an nv4500 behind a duramax. I'm guessing all the conversion bells currently being made for such a specific application are not made to fit the triple disc his puller is going to use.

NV4500 came stock behind SBC and BBC is the lat 90s early 00s in 2500 and up trucks. You can pretty much bolt a NV4500 right up to a Dmax with the GM bellhousing. But there is not enough room inside to fit a nice big Triple disk. I have a triple in front of my ZF6. 10 pound of crap in 5pound hole.

Pro Bell makes a bell that will work but it has no taper to it so your going to have to butch the floorboard.

Back