SFI Fire Jacket Requirements

DieselHardware

So, I finally got an "aftermarket" turbo(GT38R drop-in) installed on the truck. I know some tracks enforce the fire jacket rule, so I'm going to play on the safe side and get a jacket.

Just want to clarify since all I can find is rules stating "Fire Jacket required....." Are they referring to a single layer SFI-1 rated jacket, or does it need to be a dual layer SFI-5 rated jacket?

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure you won't need a jacket unless you run N20.

I could be wrong but i am pretty sure you won't need a jacket unless you run N20.

Most tracks rules that I have read state a fire jacket is required for any aftermarket power adders(turbos, superchargers, N2O). Just airing on the side of caution and not wanting to drive hundreds of miles and be told I can't race.

I think if you wanted to get a jacket, you would need to get one that meets SFI 3.2A/1. I believe that is one of the requirements for running 11.49 or quicker among other things.

NHRA rules say that you must have a jacket if you run an aftermarket turbo. This rule was put into place because of all the rice and turbos, however as it is worded it applies to diesel trucks as well. Now, most tracks don't enforce it with the diesels because all the techs know is that it came with a turbo, they have no idea whats stock and whats OEM.

I will try to find it, but I think you must also have pants as of 2010

The SFI 3.2A/1 single layer is what you need. Some tracks do enforce the jacket rule, if it is not the stock turbo.

Paul

The SFI 3.2A/1 single layer is what you need. Some tracks do enforce the jacket rule, if it is not the stock turbo.

Paul

Paul,
Can you confirm this? I have tried and cant find anything definitive...

All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants

Looks like it was a good question to ask....thanks for the input thus far. I need to order and NHRA rule book, just haven't done it. Twisted, is the pants rule part of a 2010 addendum or????

NADM lays out the rules for PPE fairly well.

11.99 to 10.00 seconds without alcohol injection: a jacket meeting SFI specification 3.2A/1.
9.99 to 7.50 seconds without alcohol injection: jacket and pants, or suit, meeting SFI specification 3.2A/5, gloves meeting SFI specification 3.3/5, and shoes or boots meeting SFI specification 3.3.
11.99 to 10.00 seconds with alcohol injection: jacket and pants, or suit, meeting SFI specification 3.2A/5, gloves meeting SFI specification 3.3/5, and shoes or boots meeting SFI specification 3.3.
9.99 to 7.50 seconds with alcohol injection: jacket and pants, or suit, meeting SFI specification 3.2A/15, gloves meeting SFI specification 3.3/15, and shoes or boots meeting SFI specification 3.3.

These are the rules as of 2010. NADM hasn't released the drag rules for 2011 yet to my knowledge.
None of the tracks I've run at have enforced wearing a jacket if you only have mods to the turbo or some other power adders. Unless you meet the times/requirements listed above.

NHRA rules say that you must have a jacket if you run an aftermarket turbo. This rule was put into place because of all the rice and turbos, however as it is worded it applies to diesel trucks as well. Now, most tracks don't enforce it with the diesels because all the techs know is that it came with a turbo, they have no idea whats stock and whats OEM.

I will try to find it, but I think you must also have pants as of 2010

Interested to know this also. I have a jacket just in case because I got called on it at Bandimere because I had nitrous even though I was only running some low 13's at the time. I don't have any pants though, and I SHOULD be quicker than 11.49 in the next couple of months.

Its been the rule that you needed a jacket with nitrous for some time...

Not trying to stir the pot, but NADM's rules and $1.00 wont do you a bit of good outside of a few races a year. Go to your local track and tell them "but NADM" says .... and the tech is gonna tell you "and I said, put it on the trailer"

Just saying ....

As far as our PPE rules for this year, nothing has changed. There were no SFI updates this year that pertained to us. But always check with the tracks you are racing at. Unless as Twisted pointed out, if it is one of our races, we rent the tracks, we are SFI certified, carry our own insurance so our rules apply not the tracks.

Chuck
NADM

As far as our PPE rules for this year, nothing has changed. There were no SFI updates this year that pertained to us. But always check with the tracks you are racing at. Unless as Twisted pointed out, if it is one of our races, we rent the tracks, we are SFI certified, carry our own insurance so our rules apply not the tracks.

Chuck
NADM

Yea Chuck, don't take that the wrong way. Not trying to stir the pot, trying to make it clear that NADM rules only apply to a few races a year ... I/we don't need some guy going to his local track and getting pissed cause he quoted NADM rules and can't race ....

Guess I should have clarified things and said NHRA rules since i don't race NADM. I did run the year they were in Bakersfield, but haven't seen them back this way anywhere close since then.

All the tracks that I have raced at so far are NHRA tracks so looking for answers pertaining more to NHRA than anything.

Paul,
Can you confirm this? I have tried and cant find anything definitive...

All drivers currently required to SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire jackets will now also be required to wear SFI Spec 3.2A/1 fire pants

The requirements for protective clothing are a class requirement, and are not in the General Regulations. For example running in the NHRA Pro class, and running a 10.90, I can wear just a jacket. Racing in the SS/ST class running the same speed and E.T., I have to wear a jacket and pants. Here is the rule for Sportsman, Pro, and SuperPro:

10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59); all E.T. non-OEM supercharged,non-OEM turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars with an OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory.
10.00 (*6.40) to 13.99 (*8.59); all E.T. supercharged, turbocharged, or nitrous-equipped cars without a full OEM or .024-inch steel firewall: Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory.

Here is the rule for SS/ST:

Jacket and pants or suit meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory. Driver of any car faster than 135 mph, jacket and pants meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/5 and gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/1 mandatory, except when automatic transmission is located in driver compartment: jacket and pants or suit meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/15, gloves meeting SFI Spec 3.3/5, and boots or shoes meeting SFI Spec 3.3/5. See General Regulations 10:10.

I'm not sure how the rules will be applied to non-NHRA classes. I would suspect that if you call a class Super Street, that the tech inspectors would apply the NHRA Super Street (SS/ST) rules. I do not know though...

Hope this helps...
Paul

Yea Chuck, don't take that the wrong way. Not trying to stir the pot, trying to make it clear that NADM rules only apply to a few races a year ... I/we don't need some guy going to his local track and getting pissed cause he quoted NADM rules and can't race ....

Didnt take it the wrong way Chris. I just know how these threads take off on thier own. LOL

PaulB thanks for that info, what about for vehicles running slower than 13.99 with non-oem power adders?

Yes...you all can laugh now...but its all good, ya gotta start somewhere. My truck started out running low 18s and was running 16.0x before the new turbo so I'm slowly getting there. Just don't have the funds to do it any faster.

PaulB thanks for that info, what about for vehicles running slower than 13.99 with non-oem power adders?

Yes...you all can laugh now...but its all good, ya gotta start somewhere. My truck started out running low 18s and was running 16.0x before the new turbo so I'm slowly getting there. Just don't have the funds to do it any faster.

Oh I'm not laughing. That's how I learned that technically I was supposed to have a jacket; got "busted" at the track. Now I always bring my jacket with me just in case and also put a relief tube on the nitrous bottle since it's in the cab. A cage and driveshaft loops will be next.

Oh I'm not laughing. That's how I learned that technically I was supposed to have a jacket; got "busted" at the track. Now I always bring my jacket with me just in case and also put a relief tube on the nitrous bottle since it's in the cab. A cage and driveshaft loops will be next.

Which jacket are you using? The SFI Spec 3.2A/1 or SFI Spec 3.2A/5?

Back