Shipping a full nitrous bottle?

TJSHOTROD

What would happen if I shipped a full nitrous bottle. I plan on boxing so they won't see it. Would be ok to fly or would they fine me it there is a problem?

TJ

I believe that it is extremely illegal unless you put the proper identification stickers on the package. Then I am still not sure about that.

It's a safety thing. Something goes wrong with the valve and you can sufficate somebody.

I have 6 pounds in a bottle I plan on selling I just did not want to waste it.

DO NOT ship full. Thats what took down that plane over florida about 10 years ago. IIRC the shipper was charged with a couple of hundred counts of manslaughter for intentionally mislabling compressed gas cylinders. baggage holds are not pressurized like the cabin and cause weird things to happen to contents under pressure.

TJSHOTROD said:
Fine I guess I will empty it.
find something to spray it in. lawnmower, weedeater, whatever. just videotape the results for us to enjoy.

SINNER said:
DO NOT ship full. Thats what took down that plane over florida about 10 years ago. IIRC the shipper was charged with a couple of hundred counts of manslaughter for intentionally mislabling compressed gas cylinders. baggage holds are not pressurized like the cabin and cause weird things to happen to contents under pressure.

Was that the plane that crashed in the swap? I remember a plane going down because of this. Dead or alive whatever was left the gators ate.

As an airline pilot please DO NOT SHIP hazmat without declaration. Airlines carry numerous cargo shippments on every flight and a non declared hazmat shippment could cause the death of up to 500 people. As mentioned above ValueJet went into the everglades due to oxygen generators that were shipped inappropriatley.

Not only is nitrous a compressed gas it is also a oxygenator and fire hazards are of primary concern. Even if you were to ship empty the bottle needs to be declared. Sometimes depending on the shippment and mode of transit even an empty bottle will be denied!

Doug

You mean people actually need to think about what they are doing without shifting the blame?

Just got a new Mig welder and they shipped a bottle of 75%Argon/25% Co2 didn't think they could but it was an option on line to be filled or enpty, guess that gas is Ok???

dzlfarmboy said:
Just got a new Mig welder and they shipped a bottle of 75%Argon/25% Co2 didn't think they could but it was an option on line to be filled or enpty, guess that gas is Ok???

Thats because they ship it by land not by air.

Back