Shock tower delete + lowered truck?

mathews8pt

I'm sure some of you guys have ditched the shock towers and ran a shorter shock, so I'm wondering what your running for shocks? I really cant afford custom higher dollar ones right now, so I'm hoping for something that is on the market that's under $100 a piece. My truck is also lowered in the front a couple inches so it means the shocks will be quite a bit shorter then stock.

The truck is a 2000 4x4.

I found this shock(Bilstein 33-186504) on CF that a guy was using on his 3rd gen and it looks like it might work but before i ordered I figured someone may have gone through this before. Thanks

I run rs999195 (rancho 9000xl) I've got about 3.5" of of travel, I've cut coils and have the fleece shock plates.

image_zpsvzqkmymp.jpg

That's even less travel then what the bilstein have. Your truck must be a little lower then mine. I measured right around 14-14.5" from axle mount to where a tower delete plate would be at ride height now. Which thinking about it is probably a little high, because my steel bumper and s480 are off the truck right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy used a stock dmax shock on his 04. I have no clue if the extended/compressed travel numbers are right but it fits :lolly:

Following this, I have a set of ranchos I got from Lee's truck I was gonna try
Won't need much travel
4B7287F3-72DA-481D-8DB4-BD27D8705C7E.jpg

Last edited:
Mines 13.25" from the center of the lower mounting bolt to the bottom of the tower plate.

3" between the frame and axle for travel. I removed the rubber bump stop. Daily driving it might be an issue going to fast over speed bumps but mines not a daily driver..

Last edited:
Take your old shock and new measurement and go to a parts place and ask to see their paper shock parts book, you'll be able to go to a section of the book and lookup part number by measurements and mounting type. We ended up with a cheap Monroe shock.

I used the fleece delete towers and the Bilsteins they have listed for plus or minus 1". Mine is lowered an inch and a half. The shocks were completely bottomed out. Mines an 06 4wd reg cab

To the op,
you really need to get a measurement and go from there. Lots of guys have used rancho 9000's with pretty good luck.

To the op,
you really need to get a measurement and go from there. Lots of guys have used rancho 9000's with pretty good luck.

I have measurements. 14.5" at current ride height, about 2.5" from bump stop. I didn't get to measure droop yet but I know it will be more then that short of a shock will handle. I have kinda done this before, but it was for my Toyota with 13" of travel up front. Lol

I was just curious what guys were running with similar setups. I have found some rancho 5000s, but haven't got around to going through the 9000s on summits site yet.

I was also thinking about limiting straps to save the shocks at full extension

Last edited:
I may just leave the towers in there since the twins already fit and the truck could see some rough roads.

Found rancho rs9000xl shocks that would fit my truck. About $90 each on Amazon and rancho has a $106 mail in rebate on a set of 4. That would put around $250 in a set of 4. Doesn't sound bad at all

Was there anything found on this? I don't have my engine in and want to put shocks in when I cut the coils out.

My shocks are working ok. They may be a touch long though

What ones did you go with? Stock height? I need to call rancho of no one found anything

What ones did you go with? Stock height? I need to call rancho of no one found anything

I went through a ton of shocks on summit until I found what I thought would work best.

How low is your truck?

I have 1 1/2 ish coils cut out of front

I went through a ton of shocks on summit until I found what I thought would work best.

How low is your truck?

I have 1 1/2 ish coils cut out of front

That's exactly what I am cutting out. Did you do the tower delete also.
What part number did you end up with on the rear?

Back