Should I lose the molding???

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
Should I lose the black molding on the side of my truck? I've be tossing the idea of taking it off for about a month now, and I was just wondering what yall think???

HPIM0341.JPG

photochop.jpg

Last edited:
Depends. You will have ghosts under it. YOu can tall where I pulled mytailgate trim if you look closely. Also, if you park close to others, dings may become a problem

Billysgoat said:
If you are going to pull the molding I would pull all the emblems etc. but that is just my .02 worth

I agree, either keep it all or lose it all.
I vote for keeping it, it provides a nice color break

I think they both look real good. Tim and Billy are right though, parking to close to someone else could make the truck not pretty! At least the stacks look good! LOL

Yeah, that was my only concern about parking close to people, but to tell you the truth removing the molding would give me more incentive to park in the back of the parking lot. Heck I got dents from peoples mirrors, so it's luck of the draw I guess.

I think I'm gonna debadge her. :woohoo:

I always think a clean truck (no emblems, moulding, etc) provides a much smoother look. From the two pics, I think the debadged one looks wayyy better. The one with the badging just looks like a stock truck with a lift. The debadged one looks like someone has gone to some effort to make their truck look good and taken the time to "clean" it up.

sredish said:
I always think a clean truck (no emblems, moulding, etc) provides a much smoother look. From the two pics, I think the debadged one looks wayyy better. The one with the badging just looks like a stock truck with a lift. The debadged one looks like someone has gone to some effort to make their truck look good and taken the time to "clean" it up.

I can deffinintly see where you coming from. Oh, but it doesnt have a lift, just a 2" spacer up front......:bigsmile: So I'm leaning towards the removal of the badges and molding. Who know I may do it today and if I get any boreder I may just do it with in the hour....

Here's a before/after with my badging. I've sinced added painted door handles and tried to clean it up more. But you get my drift....

test.jpg

Ford12.jpg

I recently debadged mine, I like the cleaner look and it should be easier to wax. I am debating pulling the molding as well, but it does provide a clean breakpoint for the two tone paint.

Your trucks looks too good to park nearby with or without the molding, pull it. :D

Well I took the molding off. :ylsuper: Looks good, BUT there is a little bit of blackish road tar or something that surrounded the molding and it wont rub off. It's only in a few places, but I want it off of course. :x-out: How could I get it off? Clay bar it? To tell you the truth the paint isn't really discolored at all, it just has a few of the black marks on it. As soon as I get the black stuff of I'll be in business. Tomorrow afternoon after I get my new Xtreme A/Ts :rockwoot: I'm gonna pull the 2500 emblem off. I'll post some pics ASAP.

Over all, am I glad I did it?.......YES!

For about $35 you can get a wheel for removing the adhesive. It is like a giant eraser in the shape of a disc that mounts in a drill. It will probably last us a lifetime and it will work on pretty much anything gummy or sticky. I found one at my local Carquest in the body section.

I got all the sticky stuff off, its just debris and tar that built up around the sticky stuff and the outter edge of the molding.

I wonder if that wheel would work on the black stuff?

Timbeaux38 said:

HPIM0342.JPG

HPIM0344.JPG

This is the crap I was talking about. Its not the adhesive. I removed ALL of it trust me. It's just crap that was never washed off because there was a little edge of the molding that, I guess you could say, hung over the double sided tap and this let dirt and other crud to get into this little gap between the paint and the molding. Sorry, I'm having a hard time explaining where it is.

If you rub your finger across it you can feel that its raised and not scrathed into the paint.

Where could I pick up one of those wheels at? I called O'Reilys and Autozone and they don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about. Is there any other name for it besides and "eraser that attaches to the end of a drill"? :aiwebs_010:

You might want to try good ol' fashioned WD-40 and a soft cloth or just some concentrated wash soap and a cloth. If you use a mechanical deal to remove it you might get the crap off and scratch the surrounding area in the process.

Back