should i worry about this oil sample?

dixon700

cummins fanatic
this sample was taken almost 8k miles after i installed an ad ii, 75%over exergys 124* stock angle remans, 10.6mm stroker cp3, arp 2000's, hamilition 110lb valve springs, new crankcase breather filter, 63 over s475 twins, pusher intake, new rear main seal with wear ring, new gasket for the plate for the rear main seal, new flywheel n clutch, im sure there is more. also lately i just found my intercooler is leaking at the seams. should i be worried? ive been getting my wts light, but i think that may of been from excessive rail psi. im still backing my rail down to almost nothin. there is very little blow-by. almost none when cold and just a little when hot. here is the sample.
5-9-13oas_zps21833c2e.jpg

Last edited:
I'm squinting a little, but it looks as if that iron sure jumped up significantly. Was the block apart at all since the last sample?

I'm squinting a little, but it looks as if that iron sure jumped up significantly. Was the block apart at all since the last sample?
I pulled the rear cover and pulled out the rear main. Installed a new rear main with wear ring. Installed a new gasket in the rear main cover and siliconed it back to the pan on the bottom. Other than that, head studs, springs, injectors, cross tubes, cp3 manifold, turbos, and well just about everything in my Sig. It was original injectors and I never pulled the head off. I believe the entire bottom end is 100% original like the injectors were.
I'd probably follow their comments of something is wrong.
I wasnt doubting them, but what is wrong, why, and how. I'm just not sure what caused this all of a sudden...

The silicon level seems explainable by usage when doin gaskets and seals etc, but imo, after seein the work that you had done, there's really no obvious reason for the others to so high. I'd take a closer look if I were you.

What should I do? Run it and take the next sample and see how things fair? Or what? The engine has always ran good and never had any sorts of excessive smoke other than some black smoke when really ripping on it. It's always started by the second revolution of the engine. It's never had the egts held at 1600* for more than a few seconds. The new air filter with outerwear had been cleaned twice in the past 8k mi. I just haven't noticed anything that could of caused this abnormal wear. Should I try to buy a good color borescope, pull the injectors get them tested and check out the cylinders? I don't really have the spare time and cash right now, but i sure dont have the time and money to rebuild the engine. It doesn't help that I need an intercooler and shocks...

Did you take the sample warm and mid drain? I was told by schaeffers rep that you need to take them warm and mid drain. If you take it as soon as it starts to drain it will always be goofy

Did you take the sample warm and mid drain? I was told by schaeffers rep that you need to take them warm and mid drain. If you take it as soon as it starts to drain it will always be goofy

You are correct it is always recommended to take oil samples of engines that have been run to operating temprature.

Amsoil sell's a oil sample pump that you run disposable tubing down your dipstick tube and can pull a sample that way.

Run it till the next change and look at the results. Most do not have their oil checked!
Remember this is parts per million! With all your changes and mods your engine is making power in a different area and amount so different parts will rub differently for a while till they settle in. Even if your next check is still high it could take 10k to settle in.
Add this: ZDDP Plus Central, ZDDPlus oil additive - Home ZDDPlus zinc oil additive IMO you'll be fine!

Yup, I always take them after running the truck at temperature for awhile and let it cool down some and make sure there is at least a gallon drained before my sample.

Run it till the next change and look at the results. Most do not have their oil checked!
Remember this is parts per million! With all your changes and mods your engine is making power in a different area and amount so different parts will rub differently for a while till they settle in. Even if your next check is still high it could take 10k to settle in.
Add this: ZDDP Plus Central, ZDDPlus oil additive - Home ZDDPlus zinc oil additive IMO you'll be fine!
Should I run it out to my 7500-8000 mile Oci? I sample every time too expensive for me to rebuild it. Is there any cons to running the zinc additive? I'm not afraid to spend some more money to keep it ticking for another 170k mi. I put 20 oz of motor kote in the oil change before this one and a half gallon of synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer every time. This current oil change I put in 32oz of motor kote friction reducer and a half gallon of synthetic Lucas oil stabilizer. What exactly does the zinc do? Should I add it now?
You are correct it is always recommended to take oil samples of engines that have been run to operating temprature.

Amsoil sell's a oil sample pump that you run disposable tubing down your dipstick tube and can pull a sample that way.
^^^ always taken warm mid drain. These engines cost too much to rebuild every oil change I take a sample. Could my results be skewed if I take a sample early?

Seems your doing everything that can be done and then some! The zinc is a wear guard to put it simply! Those with aftermarket cams run it to protect the lobes from wear. I doubt you have any issues and your fear of failure is getting to you! When you make over 700hp things tend to wear faster but still last a long time IF something major doesn't fail. Enjoy your ride do the oil changes as you are and follow up in a hundred thousand miles!

Seems your doing everything that can be done and then some! The zinc is a wear guard to put it simply! Those with aftermarket cams run it to protect the lobes from wear. I doubt you have any issues and your fear of failure is getting to you! When you make over 700hp things tend to wear faster but still last a long time IF something major doesn't fail. Enjoy your ride do the oil changes as you are and follow up in a hundred thousand miles!
Thanks, I think I'll add some zinc additive to my routine. I've never heard of an oil additive hurting anything.

Last edited:
Back