Should my transfer case sound like this?

OK first off that don't sound good at all...

Is the Transfer case Chain or Gear driven??

If it is a stock T-Case then it is either a 241D or 241DHD, both chain drive.

Are you shaking the drive shaft with your hand? I don't get what you are doing to make that noise?

I'm not sure about that either Phil, but I think I'm gonna change the fluid in it and see if there is any shavings in it. What kinda fluid do I need and how much?

Thanks

ATF+4 and about 4 quarts or so. look at the color as well, the T-case has no bands to put crud in the oil so if it is not fairly clean tear into it and see what you find. There is no way to adjust the chain, if it's to loose you just have to buy a new one :(

They are really easy to rebuild, in a day you should have it off, torn down, rebuilt and back on the truck.

Well if it comes down to me having to rebuild it where is the best place to purchase the parts? Thanks for the help!

I would go with quad4x4, I got the kit for my T-case through him, you can get it cheaper, but you will not get better advice than what Dan gives. If you have any questions he can answer them.

Well, I took the truck to Jeffs yet again. LOL AND.....I have 2 worn shift forks and a bad hub in the xfer case. I'm so happy................................ I talked with him this morning and the parts are on order and I should get it back next week. What do yall think will wear out/ break next so I can go ahead and be ready. :bang

Im guessing your wallet is next to break.

Well, the tranny is done, the IP is new, the T-case soon will be...hhmmmmm.....axles in these trucks tend to live forever..........motor internals??? IT's a Cummins, nuff' said there.........Front axle outer seals will leave the world of sealing allowing water into the front pumpkin and cause bearing failure Swani says LOL LOL

Dave, I think you have covered just about everything LOL LOL

Well I actually had the rear end rebuilt and new axle seals put in the front axle about 35k ago. Let's just say my truck was a red submarine for a day and it's hasn't seen mud/water since then. LOL

Back