Shutoff Solenoid Problem

BigErk77

My truck will start and immediately shut off. I thought it was the govenor springs because I was messing with them so I tried starting it with some throttle and got the same result with a ton of smoke.

I felt the shutoff solenoid during the startup process and it pulls up when the key is in the "start" position and it goes back down in the "on" position. I hooked up a multimeter to the wiring harness with the key in the "on" position and it was getting power. It seems a little strange to me that one key position would work properly and the other wouldnt. Where is the fuse for the shutoff solenoid in the "on" position? I couldnt find it. Found and "engine" fuse that was 10 amps that was fine and a blown trailer fuse. No luck with the engine shutoff solenoid though. Any help?

iirc its the run fuse inside the cab, if you turn the key on and lift the sos by hand does it stay up? might be in a bind or out of adjustment

the relays are the tow things on the fire wall right above the shut off solenoid and they go bad all the time, i have heard you can only use ones made for our/that exact application but dont know how true this is

both relays get their power from a pair of the extra small wires on the drivers side batt I have had the corrode off before but not fall apart. its worth checking I tore a bunch of stuff apart for no reason one time

That solinoid is two in one. One gets it up the other keeps it up. I did a p pump swap. I used a wire off the starter to get it up when it starts, and use a powered 12v wire when the truck is running. Clear as mud

My truck will start and immediately shut off. I thought it was the govenor springs because I was messing with them so I tried starting it with some throttle and got the same result with a ton of smoke.

I felt the shutoff solenoid during the startup process and it pulls up when the key is in the "start" position and it goes back down in the "on" position. I hooked up a multimeter to the wiring harness with the key in the "on" position and it was getting power. It seems a little strange to me that one key position would work properly and the other wouldnt. Where is the fuse for the shutoff solenoid in the "on" position? I couldnt find it. Found and "engine" fuse that was 10 amps that was fine and a blown trailer fuse. No luck with the engine shutoff solenoid though. Any help?
I've seen the rubber boot on the solenoid deteriorate and get stuck in the spring. It would not allow the plunger to travel all the way up to the hold position.

You should have key on power to the light green/black wire for the hold position. The fuse for it is the number 9(engine) 10 amp, there is no relay in the solenoid "run" circuit. The middle(red/Violet) wire should have power with the key in start/crank, last check the ground wire. The ground wire is bolted to the top of the head next to the number 1 valve cover.

the relays are the tow things on the fire wall right above the shut off solenoid and they go bad all the time, i have heard you can only use ones made for our/that exact application but dont know how true this is
The large relay is for the shutoff solenoid and the small one is for the fuel heater.

Last edited:
Figured it out. The piece of metal that goes into the keyway on the shutoff lever fell out and was out of adjustment. The starter relay would pull it up but not far enough for the hold current to keep it up, hence why it would only run with the starter engaged. Put a new boot on there from geno's while I was in there since it really needed it.

Back