Shutoff Solenoid Woes

rockytopcummins

2001 6spd truck. Has a 160 pump on it. Here's the problem. I got everything working as of now but the bracket is bothering me. If you put both bolts in the bracket it's like the solenoid is in a bind or something and won't work. Take out the bolt closest to the firewall and clock it towards the front of the truck and it works like a charm. The truck starts and shuts off right now but I know it's not right and this bothers me. Does anyone have a clue what may be causing this?

146_zps120cf499.jpg

147_zps0f1bfd07.jpg

148_zps55511c7f.jpg

149_zps9933c9d8.jpg

It appears that the shutoff lever (the one that clamps on the shutoff shaft) is on backwards and looks like it is missing the shutoff stop- could be part of the issue. If I remember correctly those solenoid bolt holes are offset toward one side of the solenoid too, might try turning it around and see if it lines up better.

It appears that the shutoff lever (the one that clamps on the shutoff shaft) is on backwards and looks like it is missing the shutoff stop- could be part of the issue. If I remember correctly those solenoid bolt holes are offset toward one side of the solenoid too, might try turning it around and see if it lines up better.

Thanks Seth, I'll give that a shot and see if it works.

Sounds to me like you've got it hooked up wrong. You should have three wires: ground, 12V starting, and 12V on.

Sounds like your 12V on isn't hooked up right, so when you're starting it, it cranks and pulls the solenoid up, starts, and then when you let off of the ignition, it drops all the way and stops fuel.

So test that it's actually getting the 12V to the part that holds the rod up. Or even easier, turn the key on, then go pull the rod up with your hand and see if it stays up. If it stays up, that's not your problem.

Back