Shuts off when you turn the lights on.

YoungDiesel27

Never Enough Time
Alright, not sure if anyone has seen this problem before but I have seen it probalbly 7 or 8 times on 98-01 vp44 trucks. When you turn the headlights on the truck will shut off. It has always been randomly through the life of the truck and easy to fix. I have always found a ground wire that was not connected from the factory the is underneath the fuse panel and abs motor.

Here's the issue....had a 2002 come in today doing the same thing....like sweet just ground it and fixed. Well the wire I'm used to finding isn't there.

When you turn headlights on you lose the ground trigger for the fuel pump relay this shutting off the injection pump. I could just run a seperate ground for that trigger but would rather find the fix. Anyone know if there is a seperate ground open like this on a 2002?

Found it to be no ground at the joint connector #1 at the PDC. The cause was a bad connection/ wire end to the fender underneath the driver side headlight.

Glad you found it. I was going to suggest a bad ground. When people wrench on cars and trucks many times they forget to reinstall a ground that will play havoc with the electronics. Also factory grounds with corrosion on the connections or in the wire itself will cause a lot of problems. It never hurts to upgrade the ground connections!!!

Back