Sick Powerstroke!

Ridiculous

Head Honcho
its my old man's 99 powerstroke. we've got a no start condition here. just cranks and cranks. we've got fuel cause we got smoke. and if you crank on it, sometimes it will try to fire a little bit but that's it, just a little stumble. and recently he had new batteries installed and had the cam position sensor replaced on recall, all done at the dealership. he said after he had all that done, he made about a 100 mile trip, it sat for about 2 days, and then the next time he tried to run it, no start!

so what kinda theories we got here? i've got a few of my own but i won't mention them cause i don't wanna pursuade anyone:cool:

sounds to me like the glow plug relay mine went out and it did what sounds like the same thing as your dad's. it controls everything to do with the glow plugs and when it goes out your glow plugs will not come on at all so the cylinder isnt heatin up before you start it. i cant remeber if i tried pluggin it in but i think i did and it doesn't make a difference. i think it might be about a hundred bucks but i cant remember and it took me all of a minute to change and i havent had a problem since. so i would try that before i paid $50-$75 an hour for some shop to tell me thats what the problem is. sorry for bein so long winded but i would definitely try that before i did anything else. hope this will help and fix the oldmans truck.

its either CPS (been a few problems with the "recall" replacments not being up to par) or the GPR -- if you jump the GPR directly, and it fires -- there's your problem...

those are the easy fixes and where I'd start

thanks guys, i'll try the relay tomorrow! but geez, i'd sure think it'd start without those though. and the wait to start light comes on and goes out too. but i guess its worth a shot!

the light will still come on and everything but the glowplugs arent come on. I'm about 95% positive thats your problem cause mine was doing the exact same thing as your dads. when it was bad i could usually try to start it and if it did it would take 15-25 minutes to get it to start and several times i drained the batteries and still couldnt get it started.

another way you can tell if it is the gpr is when you turn the key on on listen for a click to come out from under the hood if you dont hear than it is shot

cool, i'm gonna check that first for sure.

now i still can't believe it won't start without glowplugs at 40*F. i'm just used to my cummins i guess. he likes the fords though, doesn't bother me just not used to em and i'm hardly ever around em. but to me it oughta start but i'll check it out and let you know.

thanks again

Back