Simplifying the brake system

smokin247

I put all new brake lines in my truck and I wouldn't mind just deleting the anti lock system just for simplisity. Has anyone else done this?
My truck doesn't have the proportioning valve on the frame like some trucks, and information on this systems is scares at best. I'm attaching a picture of what I think is the rear anti lock module and possible a proportioning valve? Any info would be great.

[ame="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/smokin247/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151008_174513.jpg.html"]20151008_174513.jpg Photo by smokin247 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/smokin247/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151008_174509.jpg.html"]20151008_174509.jpg Photo by smokin247 | Photobucket[/ame]

The proportioning valve is the one with the one wire hookup going to the metal peg (top in the picture. You have to keep that. You can get rid of the other piece but I never have because I never felt that it was an inconvenience. My friend took his abs pump and system out of his 98 that was mounted up near the DS hood hinge and had no Problems beside his ABS light is always on now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got rid of both.

image_zpsfcvzkvmh.jpg

The ABS was acting goofy on our Tahoe making braking very erratic and sometimes scary!!! I simply pulled the fuse and it the truck drives great again FWIW...

I got rid of both.

image_zpsfcvzkvmh.jpg

Technically you got rid of the factory proportioning valve and replaced it with an aftermarket one. My point was you have to keep the proportioning valve to delay/control the application of the rear brakes. Looks clean though.

The ABS was acting goofy on our Tahoe making braking very erratic and sometimes scary!!! I simply pulled the fuse and it the truck drives great again FWIW...

I would be willing to bet that one of the speed signals in your front hubs is dropping out early and causing the ABS to activate unnecessarily. Typical GM issue. Only happens when your almost to a stop?

I would be willing to bet that one of the speed signals in your front hubs is dropping out early and causing the ABS to activate unnecessarily. Typical GM issue. Only happens when your almost to a stop?

Ya, that's what I figured too, but I havent had the time to mess with it. It only took a few seconds to pull the fuse!!!

I wouldn't have went through the trouble but I stripped the entire engine bay to paint before I put a new engine in. I also replaced all of the brake lines while I was at it, so the less things I have to install the better.
What is the one wire on the proportioning valve for?

What is the one wire on the proportioning valve for?

It is for a differential pressure switch. Basically if you blew a brake line in one of the circuits there's a spool valve inside that will move because the other circuit still has pressure and the switch will turn the red brake light on on your dash.

Im not sure why they even included ABS in the front at all. Even with hydroboost, the undersized rotors and calipers on these trucks dont ever seem to lock up the wheels in a panic stop.
I would have ditched the vacuum for hydro while you were in there, its a good upgrade.

I have hydro brakes in a 97 already. And they will lock up the front tires on dry pavement. My truck was rear ABS only.

Last edited:
I took my ABS stuff off along with the valve in the rear (ride height valve for towing). I left my stock proportioning valve though, and it feels god. The front locks us just before the rear. I'd prefer it to be even, but it was cheap and easy.

Also, there's some new lines out there that I put on last time. I forget what they are called, but they don't rust out. I've been through three mild steel hard lines due to rust now...

You're probably talking about the copper - nickle brake lines. Nice and flexable and don't rust. I replaced all my lines to those.

You're probably talking about the copper - nickle brake lines. Nice and flexable and don't rust. I replaced all my lines to those.

Yup, that sounds right. They kick ass! I've had them up front for 1.5 years now and they still look brand new. Definitely worth the extra money. Plus, exiting an expressway and having your brakes fail is no fun. Thank got for TC lock up and a valve body that does what you tell it to do! ha ha

Yeah I heard good things about them. And they're extremely easy to run!
Definitely worth the slight extra cost. I spent $50 to do the entire truck.

Last edited:
Back