Sitting Too Long

Thanks for the feed back. I’ve learned a lot by listening to Lenny talk on his videos.

Ordered a new set of DDP’s today to install this weekend.

Now the u-joint at rear axle is going out. Luckily I have spares with me. I’m slowly working through all the weak links of this 17 year old truck.

Sharp truck. That body style came out when I was a teen and still “new” in my mind. I have to remind myself it’s a 20 year old haha

Thanks for the feed back. I’ve learned a lot by listening to Lenny talk on his videos.

Ordered a new set of DDP’s today to install this weekend.

Now the u-joint at rear axle is going out. Luckily I have spares with me. I’m slowly working through all the weak links of this 17 year old truck.

im in the same boat with my 7.5. used truck blues..at east yers aint all electical...i got most of it sorted but the ac got some strange crap going on i can't figure out...it will not go below 60 degrees...like its thermostatically controlled

When injectors are removed and replaced on a 5.9 CR engine with the same size injector, is there a calibration process that must be performed with the ECM for each cylinder and each corresponding injector in that cylinder? Meaning, each injector will flow slightly different than another one. Does the ECM need to know this data in order to idle and run correctly?

Someone mentioned this when sharing my failed injector(s) issues with them. I personally have never heard, read, or known of such a process for a 5.9 CR engine. Is it maybe a procedure for 6.7 CR Cummins?

it jut oepns and closes em..if it knew pressure and shit it would know which one is bad..it dont

That would be called trim codes. Can't help with the application at hand but fords definitely need that in order to run smoothly.

Spoke with DDP today. They sent a report and pictures from the bad set of injectors. To sum it up, anything that could be wrong was wrong with the injectors. One hold down bent (not sure how, it's 1/2" thick metal), one separator missing, all nozzles have rust and contamination, solenoids damaged, barrels and adjustment shims rusty, all mounting surfaces are dirty and would not be able to correctly seal, internals of the bodies have rust and contamination inside, armatures have rust, nozzles are cheap non OEM replacements.

I asked if any of this could be caused by the injectors sitting in the engine for 4-6 months before being run. Short answer, no. If the engine had been in use, then sat for several months, yes, that could be an issue. So I plan to ship that bad set to the local builder in Houston, ask them to inspect the set, and see what they come up with. Then see if they will refund my money.

Definitely learned the hard way and was lucky I didn't melt a hole in a few pistons. Luckily my new set of DDP injectors arrived today. Buy once, cry once.

Thanks for the info.

Anyone know if this applies to 6.7L Cummins?

yes. 6.7s use calibration codes.

Did Diesel Pump go through the injectors previously? Good people over there, but I have had a few issues with them on CR injectors.
PM me if you'd rather keep it private.

Yes. Diesel Pumps & Injectors rebuilt them. I’ve had no issue with them in the past, Bart has always been honest with us over the years. Through I do believe the set I received back from Diesel Pumps & Injectors was not my original set. There’s no way to prove at this point. I’ll keep moving forward with the process.

Thanks for clarifying the calibration code question.

You get Lenny's finest installed? What are the injector specs, and if you got them installed, what are your initial impressions? Id imagine its the quietest and smoothest your truck has ever been...

I have not. They are riding in the back seat just incase while I’m running my backup set.

Rear u-joints started talking to me last week while driving across Texas. Made it to a friends shop east of Austin and changed them out. Installed my old man nerf bar steps for the wife and some mud flaps to slow down the rock chips. Fixed the broken HVAC knobs, permanently wired up the lockup switch, installed the Edge CS3. I really like that small display, it’s just the right size. Washed, buffed some scuffs, waxed, sealed the paint.

I have not. They are riding in the back seat just incase while I’m running my backup set.

Rear u-joints started talking to me last week while driving across Texas. Made it to a friends shop east of Austin and changed them out. Installed my old man nerf bar steps for the wife and some mud flaps to slow down the rock chips. Fixed the broken HVAC knobs, permanently wired up the lockup switch, installed the Edge CS3. I really like that small display, it’s just the right size. Washed, buffed some scuffs, waxed, sealed the paint.

Ahhhhhhh yes... The good ol shaft snapper switch!! :rockwoot:

Update on the bad injectors. Dropped them off at local shop who initially build them, they found 3 cracked tips, replaced them and said they are ready for pickup. At pickup I had my DDP report and pictures handy. I was told fuel contamination caused the cracked tips. So I presented the very clean fuel filter that I removed when I pulled the bad injectors. Was told the fuel filter will not catch what caused the injectors to fail. (I run Baldwin 2um fuel filters) It was likely debris between the filter and injector. Pull the rail and take a look inside, you will see it.

Asked if they found any further issues with the set of injectors. After stating 3 cracked tips were the only issue, I presented the report and pictures. The rebuilder did read the report and check out all the pics, stating they would never send out a set of injectors looking like this. I asked about the cheap non OEM nozzles, question was not directly answered. End of it all, they did refund the full purchase amount and were very professional about the situation, which I do respect.

They kept telling me I had contaminates in my fuel, probably a rusty fuel rail or a CP3 starting to fail. While inside talking to them, the truck was outside idling the entire time and has 8k miles on a set of stock take out injectors I bought off a CompD member. They are smoky but the truck runs stronger than their set did "new."

My new set of DDP's are still on the back seat. Waiting for a calm work day to swap them in. One day at a time.

Back