slight extended crank time. kinda!

08 mega man

cornfused
Ok ive got this guy come in last week with an 03 2500 6 speed and it had some other issues so I tested the fuel system it all failed . (Injector return, cp3 flow, lift pump flow ) so I replacedthe lift pump first to verify the cp3 and made no change to it so I swapped all of it with new . Fixed the original complaint. And now hes b*****ing thst it dont start quick enough . So I pulled all the lines and loosened the crossover tubes and injectors and re seated and torqued them . Got it all back together and timed the crank aftrr it reprimed and it stayed consistent at 1.52 seconds. Now is there anything else I can try? That seems pretty normal to me

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. A second and a half is not a long crank time. Maybe his batteries or starter are getting weak.

anything under 4-5 seconds is considered normal...

as per this article, not sure on its legitimacy, but it did educate me when I first started having "increased crank times" which in my case was the initial 1.5 seconds or so doubled up, IE it would sound like it turned over twice before it would fire up...

Sorry...

having chased this demon before, this is the process that I took....

new batteries, (one was bad on a load test, thought it solved it.. it didn't)
new alternator (overcharging started a week after a bad battery)
tightened crossover tubes and injectors were reseated to spec (didn't solve it either)
new fca (have two that are known to work properly, didn't solve it either)
new lift pump and cleaned out fuel tank (intank one was replaced at 220K, already have 2 micron system, filter changed at every oil change, still didn't solve it.)
NO OIL in my diesel after two weeks of constant monitoring, (that eliminates a leaky injector)
finally rebuilt the starter, and still no luck... lol

ONLY THING I can think of is the check valve on one or two injectors is getting weak or loose, and letting too much fuel back into the tank.. because the problem is only like once or twice a week max.. all other times it fires up within the 1.5 second range no problem... all that I do is wait for the LP to stop buzzing, sometimes it buzzes for up to about 15 seconds, and when it stops buzzing, I crank... and truck fires up normally..

engine has no leaks either, and everything is airtight... so for now that it does it once or twice a week, eh I can live with it.. truck runs flawlessly other than that...and gets 19-20 mpg consistently, great power, no white smoke at startup, no haze, ....

anyways that's my rant on this issue..

Sorry...

Last edited:
Did a little looking and I found this 2-reply topic, which is quite helpful.

I just bought a 2003 6 speed Q/C last week and it is hard starting while cold, UNLESS I key on-off the ignition switch 3 times, then it fires right off.
Once it's run for a bit, it re-fires off like normal.
It appears to have the in-tank conversion done on the supply pump.

One issue is, even when warmed up, if you lay into it good, it smokes BLACK fairly noticeably and the RPMS seem to "hang" when I left off of the pedal.
It is also kinda' "doggy" when I mat the pedal driving down the road, though, AFAIK, it's stone dead stock.

It has 283,000 miles on the clock.

Thoughts?

Mark.

Last edited:
Did a little looking and I found this 2-reply topic, which is quite helpful.

I just bought a 2003 6 speed Q/C last week and it is hard starting while cold, UNLESS I key on-off the ignition switch 3 times, then it fires right off.
Once it's run for a bit, it re-fires off like normal.
It appears to have the in-tank conversion done on the supply pump.

One issue is, even when warmed up, if you lay into it good, it smokes BLACK fairly noticeably and the RPMS seem to "hang" when I left off of the pedal.
It is also kinda' "doggy" when I mat the pedal driving down the road, though, AFAIK, it's stone dead stock.

It has 283,000 miles on the clock.

Thoughts?

Mark.

hanging rpms..

from simplest, if it is your stock Fuel control actuator, (FCA) replace it, and see what it does.. if you take it off, and can shake it, and it sounds like it rattles or has something broke on the inside, chances are its out of whack... also you should have a PO 088 code or similar, or truck will shut off at the corners or stop signs as my dads did when his FCA was bad...

more complex (and from my experience this is it,) its an injector..... If they are stock injectors, (over 200k miles is SUPER ON THEM) chances are that they are gone.. your hard starts probably come from one or more returning too much fuel through the check valve, does it smoke when it starts up freshly? any haze, or smell of raw diesel fumes( trust me you will know) and finally, does it make oil (diesel in the oil crankcase when you check it) you will smell it, and you will know because your oil level is way above what it should be..

when mine threw injectors at 200K on the dot, RPMS hung on it the day prior, then the next day, the truck just would not rev down.. ( sort of like it was stuck on high idle) and when it would actually start, raw diesel was coming out the pipe.. yeah.. two injectors were hung open.. did all six, with connector tubes, and all was well.. checked fca and so forth before all that... and well.. I wasn't so lucky...

hope this helps.... dealt with it before, and this was my experience...

right now it still hard starts at least once a week on average, what I do, is I recycle the key a second time to where I hear the LP again for another cycle, and well... it works well.. I usually do this when the LP stops buzzin after about four or five seconds.. yes I am aware I more than likely have a leaky injector, but I can live with this problem once a week.. when it becomes more problematic, and I actually have time to do it, ill have all six injectors tested and redone again... next time, I will go with stainless bodies as well for cheap insurance.... the above sentence was my two pennys

Last edited:
to the O.P. the owner needs to know his truck relies on a high pressure fuel system to fire off. its not like a 12v or v.p. truck.

i would have the injectors tested next if he is really pushing it...

when cycling the key all you are doing is priming the low pressure system to the cp3. yes some of the pressure leaks thru the cp3. if that truck runs better after a key cycle it is leaking back.

The damned thing has been starting in under 5 seconds, no key cycles, every morning for the last few days.
Go out, turn the key on, hit the starter, it spins, then fires.
Still "hangs".
I have a set of good 2003 injectors, might as well put 'em in. :pop:

Mark.

Back