Slight performance build on a 518

Thanks Hobie, I was hoping you were gonna chime in. I hope to get this one going, and then jump right into a 47re out of my father in law's truck.

arysery2.jpg

Thought I would share the press tool I built. I had a cylinder off a glycol pump (oilfield stuff) that fit perfect. I cut 2 half inch slices, and connected them with some round bar, topped it off with a piece if 1/4" plate.

Thanks. I was surprised I had something that fit so well. If anyone wants a piece of that cylinder to make their own, let me know.

Got a few things in. Still waiting on TC, stator support, and shift kit
yna7e8u2.jpg

myvery8u.jpg

Will these pump gears work? I got the ones for 92-up, but that may be talking about the 92-up lockup trans not in the diesels. I have an extra set that looks good in case these don't work.

My original pump and my new one look like your original. I can't definitively say that your new one won't work though.

Last edited:
Ok, guys, we are getting it back together. I ran in to a few things though. On this valve body, there is no 3-4 timing valve/spring. Is this normal, because 3-4 shift is based off TPS?
Also, on the rear clutch, you put the piston and piston spring then a wave snap ring. Either I used it elsewhere (don't think so) or this trans had a flat snap ring instead. Is this ok? Everything tightens up when the clutches are in and the clearance is at .032". Spec is .032-.055

Hobie has helped a ton! I've been pestering the cap out of him. It's amazing how much the repair manual skips around and has very few pics.

My shop is a mess, and I'll definitely have more table space on the next trans build. I've got stuff out of order and can't figure something out. In the valve body there are 2 ports for "3-4 quick fill spool" and "3-4 timing spool". Will the 518 have both? I'm missing the 3-4 timing valve and feel like it's impossible to loose the valve, spring, clip, etc.

Well, we got the trans installed. Test drove yesterday. the 1-2 and 2-3 shift were early. The TV cable was binding. We fixed that and adjusted, but the shifts are still a little too early. Also, I didn't have OD. Had power at the trans plug, so I hard wired ground and it goes into OD. I ruled out the TPS with a potentiometer kit that I had in stock, so I'm going to check temp sensor next.

Back