Sluggish TQ Lock Up

nrose07

I love high sulfur
When its cold or first thing in the morning I get a very sluggish lock up. Takes a few seconds. Usually back out of it till it engages. Gets better after a few cycles but not snappy untill it warm and been driven for awhile. Wishing I had put new seals in with clutches last year, at least I'm assuming seals. How to the converters act when the clutches are shot? BD Diesel DD Converter

Try letting it idle in neutral for a minute to fill the converter, then report back. Or are you talking about once you're already driving?

Sent from my phone.

Once I'm driving. I've got remote start so it usually has been running for awhile. My understanding is my BD valve body lets the pump flow in park, has all the characteristics of it at least.

My tranny did that. Had it to two different shops and neither of them could figure it out. Had over a 100k miles on it when I sold it and it never once slipped no matter what I did to it so I didn't bother screwing with it.

On the three aftermarket transmissions I have had all hung a little before shifting when cold. I just figure it was the nature of the beast. They still shift perfect once warm and never slip so I really wouldn't worry.

Not talking about shifting. Shifts great hot or cold. TQ lockup is what I'm asking about. Yes I have a gauge, I'd say it does it anytime below 65 degrees. Now that we are in the 20's at night its worse. I can get a little flair out of it if i keep it locked up and get on it quick but I wouldn't say that it ever slips. Tranny runs between 110 to 170. 170 takes 100+ degrees in bad traffic.

I had this problem with my BD converter too. It finally got so bad, it would refuse to go in until I had let off the throttle for a bit. And even then, it didn't always go in. I finally replaced it when it started going into lockup in reverse all by itself.
A local trusted trans rebuilder said he had seen this a few times, and it was always with a bd dd converter.

I had this problem with my BD converter too. It finally got so bad, it would refuse to go in until I had let off the throttle for a bit. And even then, it didn't always go in. I finally replaced it when it started going into lockup in reverse all by itself.
A local trusted trans rebuilder said he had seen this a few times, and it was always with a bd dd converter.

Thats nice! I was trying to find a more regional shop to cut it apart and put new clutches in but nobody would touch it. BD was going to take too long and shipping was outrageous.

I haven't checked line pressure but maybe I'll actually go do it now to see if it is low. Thanks guys!

Back