Small engine tune/timing

I know next to nothing about VW's and absolutely nothing about the software you are using. Are there some engine protection limiters that you haven't found yet? What angle are the injectors? What is the diameter of the combustion cup? To my way of thinking, SOI on a small displacement engine shouldn't be that different to a larger diesel. Maybe there's slightly less "ignition delay" as the flame front doesn't have to travel as far because of the small diameter. Timing for you with a mechanical injector may be slightly different for you being as how mechanical is more of a sine wave pattern, but 25 degrees advance doesn't seem out of line for 3000 rpm. The chart you posted, is that one you modified? Did the original one have the timing pulled back on the right side4 where the quantities are higher? Here's a stock chart from my 07 dodge for comparison.
Screenshot%2066_zpslok0h58z.png

As you see, so much of it is ATDC, partly for NOx purposes so it's an exaggerated example. But I'm wondering if your timing is too far advanced in areas where you're trying to get the turbo spooled. Isn't a GT35R about 61mm and 60lbs? Scale that up 3x, wouldn't that be like running a S595 as a single on a 5.9? Obviously you have more RPM to work with though. I'm just wondering if you are going to have to push a certain amount of energy out the exhaust to get on top of that turbo. 5x0.22 seems like a pretty big injector. Anyway to calculate a corrected quantity? I'm wondering if a little less quantity and a little less timing. I guessing you're actually cooling EGT's with excess fuel the way pullers do. You'll see that at most larger quantities, there's really not much timing in the chart I posted. At low RPM's to spool the turbo, and at higher RPM's to keep stress down.

Picture showed up embedded in the preview? :bang

Last edited:
Picture worked LOL I'll try to answer everything.

1. Software is a piece that a bosch guy started developing, but never finished. It's all that exists to tune tdi stuff, except for WINOLS, which is all binary to my knowledge, and I don't even want to jump into that river. Because of this, the only maps available are the ones he already found and labeled, there are over 500 other maps that are unlabeled, so there's a good chance one of them is a limiter. That in mind, there are other people who have successfully tuned their car with this software, but none with as much fuel and turbo as I'm attempting.

2. Injectors and pistons are of stock design, injectors have been modified to flow a lot more fuel, and had the pilot spring removed.

3. I'm with you on the timing. Though I just learned today that 20* in the map, is really 40*. I'm not sure why, and the tuner didn't give a reason why it's like that. It just is. So I'm really running 40* at 3000rpm right now, so I definitely need to back it off some.

The stock timing map was crazy, clearly based on emissions. It's amazing these things get 60mpg in stock form. I'd say at least 5% of the values in cruising range were ATDC.

4. This gt35 is a 62/68/.63 IIRC. Idea with the fuel was just to make sure I have enough, and to try to create enough heat down low to help spool. I've tune out so much fuel it's not even funny, but just until I get this problem sorted out. I have questioned myself with the bigger injectors. My fear is that the bigger hole equals poor atomization, and poor burn. That could be the extreme smoke I can get at any rpm (if not tuned out) without a corresponding increase in boost and power. But I figure guys are throwing huge injectors at ve cummins with good results. I know I'm 1/3 the size, but I can do 3x the rpm's, so the 62mm turbo should do ok. And of course I know thats not exactly how the math works, but it keeps me in the ballpark.

For sure. Each cylinder is half volume. Weren't HO VP's 22000 psi? Would your pump be the same assuming the injector nozzle has enough restriction to get there? And you've gone to 13mm plungers so I though you could be reaching those pressures although 5x.22 does seem big. That should be a short, intense injection event. So I figured maybe your biggest hurdle is getting that turbo spinning. I wouldn't think 4lbs boost is hardly on the map. When EFILive first started supporting Cummins, there was a 20 degree offset too- just to keep things interesting I guess. So with the confusion on the timing maybe it was getting sprayed outside the rim then. I* got the picture to work on the 7th or 8th edit. When I went to edit the last comment I got a message that I was out of time for any further edits.

Last edited:
I have no idea about vp's honestly. These are called a vp37, but they are a ve pump. Pretty much a small dodge pump with an electronic top cover and a couple sensors. I think Seth told me the injectors pop at 220bar or something like that. This pump actually has the 12mm guts from a 4bt ve pump.

For the timing map, it's not so much a 20* offset, it's a x2 offset. so 10* on map would be 20* actual, and 20* on the map would be 40 actual. It's kinda stupid if you ask me. I've actually put the stock (without ATDC values) map back in the tune for now, along with the stock boost target maps. Hoping that will help some.

I've also learned that without the stupid vacuum valve that's used to control the factory turbo's vanes, the ecu trips a code, which can cause a limp mode. I was hoping that with enough fuel, you could get an un-regulated turbo to spool anyways. That's not the case here lol. So now I'm hoping that this valve I didn't hook up is the cause of my problems. There's a tuner guy from canada thats looking at my current and a few old maps now, he said something about removing the code for that valve, not sure what he meant though. Hopefully he can figure something out lol.

If I can't get the tune sorted out, I'm going to super pressurize the intake system, and hope I can find some ridiculous leak.

Back