Smarty to Bully Dog to Smarty... my notes on the impossible

Scooter's Roofing

so I put 2.4d on the other day out of desperation with the Smarty smoke. I really liked the tune, but the truck had definitely lost a step.

Being the power junkie I am, I decided to load the Smarty back up today.

I had changed the speed limiter on the Bully Dog, so I reprogrammed it with the stock speed limiter setting, and THEN programmed it back to stock. Rain dance perhaps? who knows, I've just read so much bad stuff about going back and forth, I wanted to cover all bases.

The Smarty loaded right back up, but when I went to re-adjust my tire size back (I was told that it put the tire size back to stock when you remove the Smarty) my old tire size was still in there :confused:

I didn't touch the tire size setting with the Bully Dog and the speedo read differently than it did with the Smarty.

Yet, when I went to change it, it said my old setting was still in the ECM... I changed it to a different size and then back to the correct size just to make sure it's actually programmed to the correct size, but I found that a bit odd/unnerving. I wonder if the Bully Dog would have glitched out if I had tried to change the tire size with it on top of the incorrect tire size left on there by the Smarty? :eek:

Oh well, about to go run a couple errands with the mosquito killer tune :(

i've heard of nothing but issues with bullydog's....

buddy of mine swapped an 06 CR into his 03 truck after some issues with it (long story.... ended up being a cracked injector after 3 years of him saying it was a "bottom end knock") was running a bullydog for awhile, then a predator, then a smarty. ended up ripping the dock right off the bottom of the dash during one of his temper tantrums (guy is 24 now)

"programed it back to stock" switched everything over now his truck smokes like a train "on stock setting" and there is nothing he can do about it.... cept he bought a super b special in an attempt to control it a bit more.

i'm not entirely positive if he swapped heads not knowning about the bowls being different or what.... but it smoked worse then a 12v before the turbo...

:blahblah1::blahblah1: guys was an idiot... and i hate CR's....:rockwoot::soap:

When unloading the smarty on my truck and others the tire size never went back to stock. I've been running without my smarty for a couple months and when I unloaded it the tire size stayed at what it was set at with the smarty.

glad it didn't cause any glitch! :eek:

so you can officially change tire size with the Smarty on other trucks, you just have to VIN lock it, then change it, then return to stock.

Some suspected that the Smarty-PPE-Smarty changes lead to Swole's meltdown (#3 I think).

Seems to be a lot of secrecy with the Smarty and what does what at what timing degree, what rail psi, etc, etc, etc.

"Black Box Voodoo" :badidea:

Who really knows what these down-loaders really change and if it recovers things correctly when putting it back to stock. Add in another manufacturer's down-loader and the problem compounds itself.

Good luck

I had a bullydog on my 03. Switched back and forth between it and the smarty several times before deciding on the smarty. I never had any issues? I think its mostly the people who forget to return EVERYTHING back to stock with the bullydog that have the issues? Have also switched back and forth on my Dad's 05 with no problems?

The T-Dogs default screen for Tires is ALWAYS factory,So when you go back stock Tune its whatever you changed it too.When You reload the performance Tune and ask to change Tires size it will show factory, but will be whatever you left it at when you went to stock tune.So if you want to change tires size when using the T-Dog you must manually change it, regardless what the screen is showing, Remember to PUSH Y to accept the change.

The T-Dogs default screen for Tires is ALWAYS factory,So when you go back stock Tune its whatever you changed it too.When You reload the performance Tune and ask to change Tires size it will show factory, but will be whatever you left it at when you went to stock tune.So if you want to change tires size when using the T-Dog you must manually change it, regardless what the screen is showing, Remember to PUSH Y to accept the change.

please re-read...

I never changed the tire size with the Bully Dog... didn't want to risk anything. I DID change the speed limiter, and worried about it. I then reprogrammed the Bully Dog with the stock speed limiter. I THEN put it back to stock.

THEN I loaded the Smarty. When I went to change the tire size with the Smarty, the tire size that I had originally used the Smarty to change was still there. I was told that when I returned the truck back to stock with the Smarty that it would return the tire size back to stock, so I never put it back when I returned it to stock.

After running the bully dog, I put the Smarty back on, and the Smarty showed that the current tire size was the size that I had entered over a year ago with the Smarty :confused:

So, apparently, the Smarty does NOT return the tire size back to stock when you load the stock tune back up with it

Yep...Same as the T-Dog,So it was showing the exact tire size that you manually inputed. It would be nice if the DLs asked (DO YOU WANT to change the tires size also) when returning to stock tune.PPE has its own language ,Sometimes NO means Yes,and Yes means NO.ugh.

so I put 2.4d on the other day out of desperation with the Smarty smoke. I really liked the tune, but the truck had definitely lost a step.

Being the power junkie I am, I decided to load the Smarty back up today.

I had changed the speed limiter on the Bully Dog, so I reprogrammed it with the stock speed limiter setting, and THEN programmed it back to stock. Rain dance perhaps? who knows, I've just read so much bad stuff about going back and forth, I wanted to cover all bases.

The Smarty loaded right back up, but when I went to re-adjust my tire size back (I was told that it put the tire size back to stock when you remove the Smarty) my old tire size was still in there :confused:

I didn't touch the tire size setting with the Bully Dog and the speedo read differently than it did with the Smarty.

Yet, when I went to change it, it said my old setting was still in the ECM... I changed it to a different size and then back to the correct size just to make sure it's actually programmed to the correct size, but I found that a bit odd/unnerving. I wonder if the Bully Dog would have glitched out if I had tried to change the tire size with it on top of the incorrect tire size left on there by the Smarty? :eek:

Oh well, about to go run a couple errands with the mosquito killer tune :(

Told ya. Don't I? The guys at bully dog half ass their programmer and they don't appear to re-image the ECU correctly.

Marco has his chit together on that front for sure.

It's kinda validates how the programmers really work for me. ;-)

When unloading the smarty on my truck and others the tire size never went back to stock. I've been running without my smarty for a couple months and when I unloaded it the tire size stayed at what it was set at with the smarty.

glad it didn't cause any glitch! :eek:

so you can officially change tire size with the Smarty on other trucks, you just have to VIN lock it, then change it, then return to stock.

I've noticed my speed going to stock every time I put my truck back to stock.... but then again I've only had a smarty on it.

Not sure what you're saying...

Once again, the SMARTY was the one that left the tire size changed and didn't go back to stock when it was unlopaded!!!!!!!!! Please read my posts again.

Told ya. Don't I? The guys at bully dog half ass their programmer and they don't appear to re-image the ECU correctly.

Marco has his chit together on that front for sure.

It's kinda validates how the programmers really work for me. ;-)

Not sure what you're saying...

Once again, the SMARTY was the one that left the tire size changed and didn't go back to stock when it was unlopaded!!!!!!!!! Please read my posts again.

I musta got confused with your web-like-explanation. what what when why?

My tire and speed limit all go back to stock when my smarty is unloaded. all I can say tho.

Like I said, I went to change the tire size with the Smarty, and the tire size that I had originally put in over a year ago was still in it.

I feel like my original post was clear, but I figure the multiple posts clarifying should have done the trick :confused:

Back