Smarty won't connect - Edge CTS doesn't know it's a Dodge

b.lee

6 in a row, makes it go.
So I have a Smarty s06 PoD (for 2003-2007 trucks) that won't connect to the truck, the truck is an early 04 305/555

When I try to connect the smarty to the truck it continuously asks me to turn the ignition off and press > then it asks me to turn the ignition on and press >

It happens over and over and never goes any further into the reprogramming process.

I spoke to the guys at MADS/Smarty and they said it could be "Insufficient voltage (you need 12.6v+ at the ECM), Corrosion in the
OBDII port, wiring problems from OBDII to the ECM, or the ECM itself"

--------------

The Edge CTS Monitor will power on and ask me what type of truck it is, I choose Dodge/Chrysler then it takes a while to boot up but it doesn't display the correct PID options like boost, trans temp and rail pressure.

I spoke with the people at Edge tech support, I connected it to my computer and they read the information off of the CTS itself. They are saying it is not getting good communication with the truck and it is going into a Default monitoring mode after trying all the other known dodge protocols ... this default mode works fine, but only lets me choose from a limited list of functions to monitor.

Sometimes the CTS screen sort of flickers, not sure if that is related or not.

--------------

I checked the OBDII port and so did another guy on CF,
Everything looks good, no wire issues or corrosion and all the pins are pushed in.

The truck runs fine, no check engine lights and no problems otherwise.
The previous owner said it was never programmed and the ECM / computer is all stock.

I took it to autozone and they connected to the truck with no problems
Displayed all the truck info. Make, model, engine, 4wd, etc.
Checked for codes, there wasn't any.

Where should I look next?

Is there any known problem areas in the wiring harness?
(Connection points or wiring itself?)

Specific ground locations?

I'm sure someone has to have come across this issue in the past?

I know it sounds weird but have your batteries tested, might also check ALL your connections including the cross-over cable that runs across the radiator support to each battery for excessive corrosion. I had the exact same issue with my early '07 and a Smarty S-06 about three years ago, ended up being a dying battery.

I had a smarty not connect back in 07 on my 06, turned out the connector on the battery was loose not letting it connect.

Both batteries tested good, 100% and 92%
Cleaned all battery cable ends and battery terminals
Cross over cable is good
Cleaned both grounds from battery to engine block
Tightened all battery cables
Put a trickle charger on the weaker battery for a while and tried to connect the smarty, still no luck.
Same thing with the CTS, no luck resetting it and selecting dodge again.

So is there actual grounds to the frame from the engine block or something?
I didnt see anything from the batteries to the frame

I got nothing now, hopefully Bob can help you get it sorted out. He is the Smarty guru! :rockwoot:

Maybe pull the harness off the ECM and check make sure everything looks good. Then start measuring voltage and measuring ohms through the harness.

Back