Smoothing out Smooth Ride Springs....

You got some nuts getting under that thing.

PICT0016_zps60cd0004.jpg

Rust in between springs makes for a rough ride too. In old race cars they used to grease the leafs up, and then wrap them. It's a good way to get them to flex against each other easier and keeps them from rusting. I don't remember what they used to wrap them, or if it'd be too much of an eye sore for you, but it does work surprisingly.

And I agree that you're crazy. Buy some bigger stands!

Some springs have a very thin plastic rub spacer between each leaf, near the tip, which is probably the best way of making one leaf spring slide against another.

Mark.

Some springs have a very thin plastic rub spacer between each leaf, near the tip, which is probably the best way of making one leaf spring slide against another.

Mark.

Yup, and it looks like he replaced them. They just tend to fall off/break off kinda easy.

You got some nuts getting under that thing.

PICT0016_zps60cd0004.jpg

That's scary, put the blocks UNDER the jack stands. It will save your life

You know it never even occurred to me while I was working on it to do it that way.....your right it would have been much better with the block "Under" the jack stand....:doh:

I always try and be as safe as possible while working in, around and under vehicles. As scary as that looked, it was still very stable. I always give my vehicles a good shaking to make sure it's stable....the truck did not move. ;)

But regardless...thank you for pointing that out. Any comments, good, bad or otherwise is always appreciated...and learned from.

You know it never even occurred to me while I was working on it to do it that way.....your right it would have been much better with the block "Under" the jack stand....:doh:

I always try and be as safe as possible while working in, around and under vehicles. As scary as that looked, it was still very stable. I always give my vehicles a good shaking to make sure it's stable....the truck did not move. ;)

But regardless...thank you for pointing that out. Any comments, good, bad or otherwise is always appreciated...and learned from.

No worries. Here is the logic. Always have the widest most stable base at the bottom (think of a parimid base). You actually performed that logic with your bottle jack in the background. I don't care if it was stable when you initially set it up. At any point in time it could have split one of those 4X6's right down the middle like a log splitter (never mind rolling off the jack). Always have a large stable base UNDER your jack stands. Glad it worked out but you could have become a fatality faster than a bullet leaving a gun in russian roulet.

Back