so a diesel tuner challenge?

DEZLFREK

my licence plate says it
so what do you guys think, lets get some of the people that say they know how to make power do a tuner challenge, the mags could cover it, give both some stock say 160hp trucks and see on the same budget where they all end up.. I would love to see smokem, Brad, comp461, and some of the others stand behind what they say here.. Heck i would like to play..
so the trucks would all be dynoed before, and the max usable hp on a load dyno, max power, and some kind of race like 40 to 80mph that way tranny could be a auto or 5sp..
sounds fun so let the games begin.. lol

I've worked on enough trucks through the years to know that doing the same modifications to different engines does not mean they will produce the same power. Why not just use a truck, and change a few key components and dyno the results?

that sounds like a a fun start. at least your game

One thing I question, I've heard it many times that people claim to be "in the bowl" @ 30° static with a Marine nozzle 155° cone angle. I've seen this setup make quite good power, surprisingly enough, many times. But it is far from efficient.

The following is a piston out of a local pulling truck, stock short block, 29° static on the light, same nozzle type as a Marine, but 140° cone angle. On paper 30° would be the upper limit to remain in the bowl, this was the only piston that had the pattern walk out.

RP-1.jpg

Now if 30° was almost spot on with a 140° cone angle, how will the 155° cone angle be retained at the same static advance?

One thing I question, I've heard it many times that people claim to be "in the bowl" @ 30° static with a Marine nozzle 155° cone angle. I've seen this setup make quite good power, surprisingly enough, many times. But it is far from efficient.

The following is a piston out of a local pulling truck, stock short block, 29° static on the light, same nozzle type as a Marine, but 140° cone angle. On paper 30° would be the upper limit to remain in the bowl, this was the only piston that had the pattern walk out.

RP-1.jpg

Now if 30° was almost spot on with a 140° cone angle, how will the 155° cone angle be retained at the same static advance?

what size plunges/barrel and what cam was in the pump?

The same as what many claim works with the Marine nozzle. And that pump wasn't used by choice.

I should say, 885 initially, then 838 for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
ok this is part of your thing, timing, but i have a question, how many stock trucks have melted? oh and have pictures.. lol. but how come only one piston burned in those picts? do you mean there are variable beond our control that play parts in malfunctions or tuning.. im just razzing you weston, its just kind of funny how opinionated you can be about the parts you sell being so supperior and i just and most of my friends havent seen those results.. but you say its tuneing so this is the start of proving to us..

so how about working on some rules, or budget, start at? end at? a motor challenge with a 10k{?} budget would be cool..

its just kind of funny how opinionated you can be about the parts you sell being so supperior and i just and most of my friends havent seen those results.. but you say its tuneing so this is the start of proving to us..

It's very obvious in applications that require sustained power, running down the drag strip or making pulls on the dyno are very different. Now, put 40K lbs on a skid and pull it on dirt, you'll know the guys spraying fuel on top of the piston, they are the ones snuffing chargers.

Ryan's altered is also another good example, he ran a few different piston bowls with the same injector cone angle. On a car that consistant, he could tell me at what degree of timing the pattern pulled out of the bowl, because it laid over on the top end.

Ill donate my truck for the challenge. That would really prove who can tune a ppump LOL

I'll be watching this one! I think the pump should stay on the truck. IMO

On a personal level I feel I can tune well. I just haven't tuned that many trucks.

It's an interesting concept, although I think there would be far too many variables in a shootout like this to make the outcome have much value.

I'll be watching anyway, it should be entertaining. Maybe I'll learn something too.

Back