so a diesel tuner challenge?

Sounds like fun. Hard to find sponsors for though. Perhaps take one completely stock truck, o-ring the head, & give it a clutch, or converter that will hold at least 500HP, & then have each tuner make his best HP using the existing STOCK components.
...maybe throw a wildcard in & let each tuner bring his own governor springs, or something like that.

weston both chad and brett tried some, both lost power, you said it was tuning and or timing. Both tried to retune their trucks but lost power.. if you remember i also tried to use those "435" nozzles for a minute but they were stock kinda and i didnt like the low end of the 140* injectors.. its ok. I'm not saying power couldnt be made, but sometimes things arent always as said.
Just like you say 370's dont work, I made 538hp with them and a super b special, at 32* timing, i also won every pull I entered, granted i had my truck dialed and the competition in cali isnt great but.. Also with exactly that same tune i pull 10k over the sierras and back at 70mph and still managed over 11mpg.. so I guess it will be fun to see.

I like 180's. My buddies truck can burn the tires from mashing it rolling in 2nd. and into 3rd on a stock clutch. Something my truck has yet to do in 2nd gear....LOL

weston both chad and brett tried some, both lost power, you said it was tuning and or timing. Both tried to retune their trucks but lost power.. if you remember i also tried to use those "435" nozzles for a minute but they were stock kinda and i didnt like the low end of the 140* injectors.. its ok. I'm not saying power couldnt be made, but sometimes things arent always as said.
Just like you say 370's dont work, I made 538hp with them and a super b special, at 32* timing, i also won every pull I entered, granted i had my truck dialed and the competition in cali isnt great but.. Also with exactly that same tune i pull 10k over the sierras and back at 70mph and still managed over 11mpg.. so I guess it will be fun to see.

If Weston and whoever agreed I would be happy to try a set of DDP injectors of same size donated by the advocates of them for testing only vs. the current injectors I run from Weston. I would need a needle gauge and instructions on what each party would like to gained/results reported from this swap. Just an idea.

I like 180's. My buddies truck can burn the tires from mashing it rolling in 2nd. and into 3rd on a stock clutch. Something my truck has yet to do in 2nd gear....LOL

I've never tried 2nd or 3rd but the 160 pump we tuned will break both rear tires loose from a 50mph roll in 4th and stay loose until the truck catches up to wheel speed which is around 80mph.

Last edited:
If Weston and whoever agreed I would be happy to try a set of DDP injectors of same size donated by the advocates of them for testing only vs. the current injectors I run from Weston. I would need a needle gauge and instructions on what each party would like to gained/results reported from this swap. Just an idea.

Its been done already with two trucks, and two different size injectors from both companys.

Its been done already with two trucks, and two different size injectors from both companys.

I see nothing wrong with additional confirmation testing especially when there is no cost other than some postage and free time swapping parts in my garage do you? I would imagine the general community wouldn't mind seeing additional testing. In any event my offer stands.

weston both chad and brett tried some, both lost power, you said it was tuning and or timing. Both tried to retune their trucks but lost power..

I have never sent anything to Chad, nor Brett.

if you remember i also tried to use those "435" nozzles for a minute but they were stock kinda and i didnt like the low end of the 140* injectors.. its ok. I'm not saying power couldnt be made, but sometimes things arent always as said.

You bought 5x0.010" 145° nozzles, not 140°, you should have not taken the advice to increase needle lift to 0.060", like I said before on the phone.

The Marine nozzle has it's place, and I use it often.

I've never tried 2nd or 3rd but the 160 pump we tuned will break both rear tires loose from a 50mph roll in 4th and stay loose until the truck catches up to wheel speed which is around 80mph.

Holy junk!! thats twined and large-ish injectors right? My friend's truck is all stock besides tightened GSK, no fuel plate, and a mildly tuned AFC.

Are the barrels turned on that 160? I think it would be more of a challenge to have them tune a 160 without taking it off the truck?

I think this would be a cool challenge. Would definatley quiet some people down.

Spence

How about eliminating the truck as a variable and just run it on a engine dyno? Use a 160 pump as the question always seems to come up about how much hp can be made from one.
Pump has to stay on the engine, all teams show up with whatever parts they want, or keep it simple and say turbo or turbos, injectors, and pump tuning/timing, and to top it off the participants should have a payout at the end or take the losers parts:). If set up correctly I could see this being a cool thing and maybe even generate public interest in a good way.
And one more thing, it should not be kept just to the 12v, us VP guys and CR guys would like in on the action:thankyou2: sorry for rambling but I just took a ton of caffiene :lolly:

Last edited:
This debate has been around longer than diesel trucks. Take a look at the 6800lb Light Super Class for example, alcohol vs diesel.

I was gonna point out the same thing Wes...

It's one of those things that will never be resolved.

People need to work on tuning their junk better instead of worrying which big name tuner or parts pimp did would do better on xxxxx engine on xxxxxxx day...

I also fail to see how such a competition would being any more publicity to the scene.

How about eliminating the truck as a variable and just run it on a engine dyno? Use a 160 pump as the question always seems to come up about how much hp can be made from one.
Pump has to stay on the engine, all teams show up with whatever parts they want, or keep it simple and say turbo or turbos, injectors, and pump tuning/timing, and to top it off the participants should have a payout at the end or take the losers parts:). If set up correctly I could see this being a cool thing and maybe even generate public interest in a good way.
And one more thing, it should not be kept just to the 12v, us VP guys and CR guys would like in on the action:thankyou2: sorry for rambling but I just took a ton of caffiene :lolly:

I would like to see it stay in a truck. Numbers are one thing, but how it runs on the street is important too! I would say one transmission needs to be picked, one style of cab. and whats done to the transmissions the same. IF there was going to be a race.

SO....

This debate has been around longer than diesel trucks. Take a look at the 6800lb Light Super Class for example, alcohol vs diesel tractors.

You could easily compare the alcohol engines to the drag racing application, and the diesel engines to the sled pulling application. Two engines could have the same torque value, but the engine that can accelerate inertia over less time will produce more hp. Now if the engine that accelerates more slowly can maintain inertia against an opposing force at a much higher value, which has more POWER? The answer would depend on the purpose, the whole topic of debate of sled pullers vs drag racers and how and what hp is.

If drag racing and dyno runs are all that matters, using a wide and shallow quench area piston, with a wide cone angle will produce the best results. Take it one step further, a larger bore with a shorter stroke and less rotating mass will accelerate faster, and produce more hp. Take it a step further, increase the lobe seperation angle on the camshaft and retard the intake centerline. What does this resemble? Greg Hogue's recommendations? These are steps to take a compression ignition platform and move them in the direction of a spark ignition platform, which for certain applications will work.

I talk to people on both sides of the coin everyday, it's interesting to see what works in what form or the other. It would be much more interesting, to me, to see see a group of Drag Racers build a pulling engine, and a group of Sled Pullers build a racing engine, rather than watch people "tune" what they already know.

Last edited:
We should have an average joe in there with the big dogs for a comparison.

I'll gladly be the average joe. LOL

What I'm picturing would be a lot less formal... a single truck strapped to a dyno, & a group of tuners taking 1 shot each at a dyno pull or two. Some beer, some bench racing, etc. Basically, a chance for some of the screen names to meet, BS & perhaps get interviewed my the mags. ??

What I'm picturing would be a lot less formal... a single truck strapped to a dyno, & a group of tuners taking 1 shot each at a dyno pull or two. Some beer, some bench racing, etc. Basically, a chance for some of the screen names to meet, BS & perhaps get interviewed my the mags. ??

That does sound like a good time ... but whom's truck would be used? where would this be held? I know I would try my best to make it just to see/hear there idea's

Back