so here we go... 2.8

VTECSTI

THE THREAD KILLER
i did a rough little outline of what im planning to do to get started in the 2.8class. like i said rough but any suggestions are nice and price quotes are also welcome on any parts.

ENGINE
• Billet cam (any suggestions?)
• Fly cut Mahle pistons (cut for cam)
• Billet valve keepers/retainers
• #110lb 12v valve springs
• Cr tappets
• 14mm main stud/girdle
• 14mm head studs
• Machine off intake manifold
• Custom plenum (PDR or Scheid)
• Bore/install
• Balance to XXXXrpms?
Driveline
• Front locker (arb?? Welded?)
• SB 4200 triple disc
• Dana 80 (w/ 5.13s)
• Dana 60 (5.13s)
• Haisley axles
• Spicer non greasable u-joints
• Driveshaft loops
• Custom ladder bars

Fuel
• 13mm pump (scheid? Cds? Fbd?)
• 5x.22 injectors
• d/v’s?
• .120 lines
• BIG F$#KING LIFT PUMP
• 1” lines?
Air
• S400 (2.8)
• Water injection or air to water i/c

1.Billet cam and the 14mm head studs are over kill along with the keepers.
2.Pretty sure ur gonna want 60lbsprings on the 12v head.
3.Zzfab has a real nice set up on the head and intake,
4.Weld the front locker
5.1" is a prett big also, put a mech pump on ur front cover for fuel.
6.I would do both water injection and a air to water intercooler.

1.Billet cam and the 14mm head studs are over kill along with the keepers.
2.Pretty sure ur gonna want 60lbsprings on the 12v head.
3.Zzfab has a real nice set up on the head and intake,
4.Weld the front locker
5.1" is a prett big also, put a mech pump on ur front cover for fuel.
6.I would do both water injection and a air to water intercooler.

What? Where are you pullin at. You would rather him spend money for a overated expensive zzfab head than put good hard parts in the motor. When you build the long block, do it the first time so as he grows he can keep building without starting over. The head could be added later. The keepers fro a fresh motor are a must. Yes we run stock keepers to 4500+ but when we tore it down they all were stressed cracked something fierce. We were about one pass from dropping some valves. We run the Ad150 at 45 psi with our 13mm pump. Weld the rear carrier and put a powertrax no slip in the front that way you can put a one piece axle to eliminate the cad.

haha add the head later... wow where have you been if you want to be competitive in the 2.8 class the head is the most important thing. zzfab has a very god set up and def not overrated. hmmm i wonder why scheid and hasily use him for R&D... o thats right he is overrated. What 13mm ppump runs off of 45psi?

I know plenty of pullers that run a mild ported head that still runs the stock intake and they run just fine. What would you run for a cam? A stock regrind? What kind of rpms do you want him to turn without the valve train parts. Just so we are on the same page here, I deal with Schieds and Haisley pretty much on a weekly basis. I buy tons of parts through them so i dont need a background on what they do. Any 13 mm pump will run off of 45 psi. Its not about pressure anyways its about volume and the AD or Fass will supply it. There is no hp diff between 45 and 75 psi. Anyway, i know a good head is a plus but you recommended a 2000$ dollar intake and a 5000+ dollar head. I just think your order is messed up.

haha add the head later... wow where have you been if you want to be competitive in the 2.8 class the head is the most important thing. zzfab has a very god set up and def not overrated. hmmm i wonder why scheid and hasily use him for R&D... o thats right he is overrated. What 13mm ppump runs off of 45psi?

If it maintains 45psi thats fine, I wouldn't go below that, the pump I was looking at recommends 50. Also there are alot of guys running 3.0+ that still run stock plenum.$.02

looks like i started a pissing match :stab:
ILLINOISRAM you have some excellent input. i honestly need more advice on the drivetrain than anything. SUGGESTIONS on the engine parts are fine, however i feel like its an engine i will be able to add to when the time comes, not tear down and repeat.

joking about the 1" supply lines....

aeromotive a1000 for the lift pump i figure? cant really beat it.

forgot what else i was gonna say. keep the input coming! thanks yall. :rockwoot:

You are better off running a mechanical lift pump on the timing cover. A1000 will not supply enough fuel for a 13mm pump.

Advice on the drivetrain, okay.

Honestly i run all stock driveline parts in my truck with no issues yet but my truck was a 70,000 mile dd that now has a dozen hooks on it. I am now in the process of upgrading the driveline. Of course my tranny has all the upgrades like normal, 241dhd and a 1 piece 1480 series ujoints drive shaft. When i go to 5.13 gears, i will buy the spool and 37 spline axles from haisely for the rear d80. The front is all stock with the powertrax no slip thrown in the factory carrier. Im sure this year with the new pump and turbo that i will break some driveline parts and i will replace them as i go.

Tim

guess ill just keep the stock plenum and port it as much as i can..

You are better off running a mechanical lift pump on the timing cover. A1000 will not supply enough fuel for a 13mm pump.

shoot me a quote on a mech. lift pump please :woohoo:

Last edited:
Fuel
• 13mm pump (scheid? Cds? Fbd?)

Dont forget about Northeast Diesel. Kevin is a good guy to deal with and talk to. I cant tell you how good the pump is yet as i am waiting for the first pulls to start rolling around, but since he whipped my ass a Schieds this year, i imagine it will be just fine.LOL He is a member on here too. Maybe he can help you out here.

cds is VERY pricey. i know its well made but ive found a few scheid 13mm's for sale used on here and the genious forums.

If your wanting an electric lift pump get an Aeromotive eliminator from summit, it will keep up with whatever you decide to run. And get yourself a real clutch (haisleys or Kennys).Talk to 01ppump about a pump hes a good guy to deal with.

Back