SO Pump on HO truck? Why Not?

Convicted1

Hey guys...

First I'll admit I'm a CR guy and haven't got a whole lot of knowledge on the VP trucks.

I'm asking for a really good friend of mine...

Truck is an 01 HO 6 Speed Truck... My friend let his father borrow the truck who then proceeded to run regular gasoline in the truck and killed the injection pump.

His father bought an SO pump to replace it because they were cheaper, and now my buddies truck is WAY down on power.

We're trying to get a good explanation for the father why he should just buck up and pay for the right pump.

I guess some of the retards at Banks told the father that the SO pump was just fine, then proceeded to sell him a Banks Module of some kind to get the lost power back. Mind you the truck is already running a Superchips tuner, so the Banks product is not only a POS to begin with, but completely useless!

Please help me get a decent explanation together for why the SO on an HO truck is a bad idea.

Thanks!

-David

Well in doing some reading evidently I'm the retard!

The SO pump is MORE desirable than the HO!?

Could somebody explain this!? And why would my friends truck be DOWN on power then!?

no it shouldnt be down on power...you may have to clear the codes, it may have gone into limp mode when it threw the codes for the injection pump....most guys run the SO pump because the SO pump puts out less fuel longer and the HO pump puts out more fuel now. so the HO pump hits a brick wall at 500hp i don't think many people have broke the 500 bearer with the HO pump. But check the codes again

It's true that the SO pump loses a fair amount of low end power compared to the HO pump on a relatively stock truck. This said I have an SO pump in my HO truck for the reasons mentioned previously. The gains on the top end are worth the loss on the low end. I would suggest some bigger injectors to offset the lack of low end power, or a better fueling module. Depending on what your friend intends to do with the truck, I would recommend keeping the SO pump.

tell him hes a friggen dumbass for putting gas in a diesel, and to man up with the right pump.

he has a super chips 65hp tuner, no way hes looking to break 500 horse, all he wants is his truck running the way it was when it left.

tell him hes a friggen dumbass for putting gas in a diesel, and to man up with the right pump.

he has a super chips 65hp tuner, no way hes looking to break 500 horse, all he wants is his truck running the way it was when it left.

This is pretty much exactly the way I see it. My friend uses his truck for basically "Hot Shot" hauling. Doesn't have any interest in a ALOT of power because he wants it to stay as reliable as possible.

He has said a few times that a little more power would be nice, but doesn't want to sacrifice the reliability.

So should he keep the SO pump and throw a small set of sticks in or rock the boat with his father and get the right HO pump?

I've helped on a few HO/SO swaps and I'm about to do another one this afternoon. Never had any of them report a loss in low end. What's his fuel pressure like? I bet his lift pump is dead. Check the codes as well.

I lost low end but the Smarty makes up for it.

The SO is the better pump for all out HP.

The HO makes better low end grunt, but will not keep up with the SOs on the top end.

I've also been told that the SO injectors flow more than the HO injectors... So if you just slap an SO pump on an HO truck and change nothing else, you're probably going to notice less power.

That said, the SO is the better option.. Especially since it is already one the truck! If it was me, I would toss in a set of RV275 injectors, or another set of cheaper small HP sticks. He will gain back all the power he lost, PLUS he should get a slight improvement in MPG.. For a hotshot driver, I would be looking to get that little extra MPG every day of the week, and the return of the lost power will just be a small bonus.

I've helped on a few HO/SO swaps and I'm about to do another one this afternoon. Never had any of them report a loss in low end. What's his fuel pressure like? I bet his lift pump is dead. Check the codes as well.

i agree on this statement

Thanks for all the input so far guys...

What should LP pressure be on the 2001 Truck?

I'll check that out as well as for codes and such ASAP.

Edit - I just got off the phone with my buddy talkin' about all the input I've gotten here, I forgot to mention that the truck has a hard time making it past 85mph.... Just runs outta power... Does this point to anything else?

Thanks!

My stock truck would sing past 85mph without ever missing a beat. Something else is wrong more than just the pump.

You don't want the LP pressure any lower than 8psi at full throttle.

I'd be worried if he can't get past 85 unloaded.

Does the truck smoke/knock/anything else after running gasoline? There is something further wrong with the pickup, unless he happened to get a BAD pump.

I'd be for checking all connections and looking at things that my have been damaged by the gas... Something isn't right.

The gasoline "could" have hurt an injector if it made it that far?? Never ran gas in a diesel, so I don't know for sure.

Now I've seen diesel ran in a gas before...that was a little funny:D
Chris

i got lucky when some punk kids poured gas in my tank.. it took out my injector pump, but luckily didnt hurt anything past that..

My stock truck would sing past 85mph without ever missing a beat. Something else is wrong more than just the pump.

You don't want the LP pressure any lower than 8psi at full throttle.

Thanks for the info on LP Pressure... We'll check that for sure.

I'd be worried if he can't get past 85 unloaded.

Does the truck smoke/knock/anything else after running gasoline? There is something further wrong with the pickup, unless he happened to get a BAD pump.

I'd be for checking all connections and looking at things that my have been damaged by the gas... Something isn't right.

Yeah... This is unloaded. The further I dig into this the more I realise that there just might be something bigger wrong.

No Smoke, Knocking, etc.... Idles just like it's supposed to. Just a massive loss of power.

The gasoline "could" have hurt an injector if it made it that far?? Never ran gas in a diesel, so I don't know for sure.

Now I've seen diesel ran in a gas before...that was a little funny:D
Chris

Yes... I'm almost wondering if something is damaged further upstream from the IP. I'm hoping to get a chance to look at it for him tomorrow.

As for diesel in a gas rig... I did that once. When I was younger and still lived at home I was usually pretty low on funds for fuel but still wanted to go out with my friends. We always had red cans for gasoline and yellow cans for diesel in the garage... Well I used to think it was slick thinkin' to just "borrow" the old mans fuel out of the red cans in the garage, He got wise to my trickery though and decided to fill the red cans with diesel fuel as well. I didn't pay any attention while I was dumpin' it into my gas truck and wouldn't ya know it... About 5 miles up the road my poor truck wasn't runnin' right! Called the old man for a ride home and got "Guess next time you'll ask before takin' my fuel won't ya boy!" LOL... Boy that was a mess to fix. Learned my lesson though!

Guess my plan of attack for now is to take the Superchips off the truck, check for codes and clear, check all the connectors and make sure everything looks up to par with the install of the pump, then check LP pressure.

Hopefully I'll find something simple along the way and we won't be back to putting ANOTHER pump on it.

If anybodies got a set of RV275's or somethin like 'em... My buddy would definately be interested in a little more power and mileage. Hit me with a PM if you got something.

this happened to friend of mine he had a shop put a new vp in and it lost all power. The shop put a so on a ho truck the truck was all stock he ended up having the shop change to the ho pump and the truck runs great now. I don't know if there was something wrong with the so pump or not the shop told him you need to chip it to get the power. He did not want to do that so they changed the pump and all is well.

Checking the codes

Does a regular scan tool check to c if any codes are thrown for the injection pumps? I swapped a SO on to my HO and i to have a loss of power but i also am only running a 75hp chip. My fuel mileage dropped from 20mpg before pump went bad to 15mpg after the swap. I put on a FASS direct replacement lift pump and a "big line" fuel line kit. Could anything else be wrong or is it time now to make the jump to the Edge Juice w/ Attitude?

SMARTY, thats the only thing to run if your not lookin for a lot of power, I can't drive my truck without mine in it any more, the pick up on the bottom end is way to phenomenal. Lights the turbo up way quicker.

Back