So, this 6.0h no...

LOGANSTANFORTH

WORKIN' MAN'S DOLLAR
that I'm working on today has some issues.

The truck had a Diablosport Predator tuner with it when he bought the truck a week ago and I was using it to scan the codes and watch the engine parameters.

First.
The truck is starving for fuel and will eventually die and you got to cycle the electric fuel pump several times before you can get it to start again. Sometimes it will free rev great and other times it will spit and sputter. It barely builds RPM when held against the brakes loading the engine. It will start out driving fine for a few seconds, then it slowly loses power over the course of about 3-4 minutes of varied driving then eventually die and you got to re-cycle the key...

Second.
The VGT is being retarded. One time it will try and suck your hand down the intake tube and a second later I can almost choke the engine off by putting my hand over the intake pipe. The RPM never changes but the sound of the engine does. The "VGT DC" parameter would randomly go from 44% to 80% to 15% to 55% then to 25% in random order and when those changed the suction and engine noise changed...

The only two reoccuring codes are...
P1000
P0266 for cylinder number 2

I replaced both fuel filters today, oil and oil filters and put a new EGR on it cause it was missing a bolt out of it and had blown the gasket out and was full of soot. It still worked but I'm sure it wasn't long for this world...

Get an IDS and......

Run VGT/turbo test and check your fuel pressure at the port on the front of the upper filter housing. HFCM's can make enough pressure to run the truck but not supply enough under load at times.
There is also a air bleed hole on the lower fuel filter that should be positioned at 12 oclock.

Lots of other things to check, but without an IDS it will be tough.

Check your ficm voltages and if you have a spare swap it out.

I would change out that #2 injector. We have had trucks in the shops that would start up and idle for a few minutes and then just cut out. Cycle the pump a few times and it would start back up and run for a few minutes before it would die again. Sometimes you could start it and free rev it, other times it will quit when you try. I'm not sure what happens inside that injector to cause havoc with the fuel, but I have seen this several times.

Injector hangs open........

I would change out that #2 injector. We have had trucks in the shops that would start up and idle for a few minutes and then just cut out. Cycle the pump a few times and it would start back up and run for a few minutes before it would die again. Sometimes you could start it and free rev it, other times it will quit when you try. I'm not sure what happens inside that injector to cause havoc with the fuel, but I have seen this several times.

Sometimes an injector can hang open and cylinder pressure can enter the fuel system on compression strokes. This causes all kinds of ****tt to go bad and fills the fuel system with exhaust gasses.

Back